How Can I Ask My Boss if I Can Work Remotely Too?

I've been doing research for the same fast food company for three years, and I want to ask if I can work remotely a set 3 days a week instead of the sporadic field days (when I have to go to the units) I have. My boss works remotely, and I only ever see her twice a month. Aside from a few presentations a month, my job does not require me to be in the office as most things are done via email or telephone. I'd even take working remotely over the maximum 3% merit increase (I know, it sucks but it's better than nothing) because I'd get more than that back in time and gas and I'd eat lunch out less. I'd also be able to take care of doctor's appts, etc during my lunch break and not have to take time off for it.

jazzminesun

Asked by jazzminesun at 6:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Make a presentation of it and show her how it can benefit the company. Bosses love that and it justifies their decision to allow you to work remotely.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Just ask her! If she works remotely then she should be sympathetic to your situation. Presenting it in a way that makes it beneficial to the company is always helpful.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Just ask and point out the benefits for the company. I certainly would not make the situation seem as a burden on the company by offering to give up a merit increase.
    regan1

Answer by regan1 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It sounds like you have a great case for telecommuting. Practice your presentation at home; anticipate every question and make sure to stress the advantages to the company.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• ask "is there any reason why couldn't work remotely". That statement works on my hubby everytime. "Honey is there any reason why you couldn't take out the trash". No- and he takes it out. Hope it works for you.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 1:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2009