• In the Spotlight:

Did you put really expensive things on your registry for your baby?

My cousin put her registry up today and everything on there is like 10-20 each.... I am bout to buy her one thing and be done with it because I dont have the money to get her all the lavish things that she wants.... Do you think people should be more price friendly when doing things like this? And what do you suggest I do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Is she a first time mom? Alot of first time moms put alot of useless stuff on our registry. its not out of greed but out of EXCITEMENT!
    Buy her what you think she needs. if you buy something from her registry, great... But its not a MUST to buy something from it only ideas for others, especially since some people may want to buy with the bedroom theme or something.
    Expensive items- if they are useless No I wouldnt put on a registry..
    For useful items like rockers, cribs, ect. most of the time the family talks it out & the grandparents make bigger purchases with the parents, so those items usually dont go on the list... But thats just how it seems to work for us. maybe not everyone
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't think 10-20 dollars is that expensive, especially for baby stuff. But I put whatever I wanted on my registry but I never expected anyone to buy it. I was really more for fun. Just buy her whatever you want and can afford.
    Anonymous

• I put a carseat I wanted and a double stroller but that's only cause mil told me that's what she wanted to buy me... I wanted her to know which one I wanted... as for $10 - $20 I think that's more than a fair price. I also put a $200 pump on my list but I'm not expecting to get it lol... just letting people know what I want. sometimes people like to go in together on an expensive gift so I thought why not...
    Anonymous

• Yes, I did because I was asked to put higher priced items because some of my relatives were going in on bigger items like carseats, strollers, etc so I would have the big things I needed. I had a good mixture of items on my list and I didn't expect anyone to spend more than they could. A list is just IDEAS of what people can buy that you need or would like to have.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• $10-$20 isn't "really expensive" that's life. And I had several $100 or more things on mine, and yes I got two of them, a few cousins went into together for one and two aunts bought another. When I go to a baby shower I typically spend $50 on the Mom to be.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• well i dont have 50 to spend if you wanna come you can spend it
    Anonymous

• I hate gift registries and have never had one. They always come across as begging for gifts.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you want to get her something not so pricey that would be most appreciated, get a pack of diapers and wipes. I can't think of anything that she will need more than that, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I put everything from $5 bibs and feeding accessories to $250 stroller and car seat set. It's not your responsability to make sure she has everything. It's meant for each person to help off their own budget. If you have $20, maybe you can get her a gift certificate. THat way if there's something she didn't get at the shower, it'll help with that.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• 10-20 is cheap....what can she register for much cheaper than that?
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 7:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2009