Asthma Refferals?

My 20 mo old has asthma it's a virul kind that only flairs up at the slightest hint of a cold two weeks ago it flared up to the point of Pnuemonia he seems to get sick all the time last night he started weezing again and coughing today tommarow i have a doc appointment for him i want to ask the doc for a refferal . what my quiestion is... does any of you know what he might refer me to or more naturall remedies the the steriods breathing treatments are bad but the steriods i hate that! any ideas ladies? any expiriences?...

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 6:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• O.K. I have three kids and a husband who are asthmatic. At this age they probably won't call what your baby has asthma, but reactive airway disorder. The only reason is that at this age they can out grow it. My opinion is that prevention is the key. Wash hands religiously, use hand sanitizer all the time. Keep your little one hydrated etc. I don't believe natural "cures" work.

As far as a referral that would be to a pulmonologist, specifically a pediatric pulmonologist. However, most general peditrians can handle treating asthma or RAD very well. It's so common. What you and he or she need to do is work on a more agressive plan to manage your child's disease. You may want to get a nebulizer, which is a way of administering medication with steam, it uses less medication but gets it in better. Also there are medicines to prevent attacks.
    I wish you well.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Asthma is not viral or bacterial, it is not an infection. It is an inflammation of the airways that needs to be treated correctly. I get attacks when I exercise, have colds that I don't treat. I take SIngulair nightly and have a rescue inhaler for emergencies. Your childs pediatrician should be able to control the asthma in your child. There really isn't a need for a specialist. Asthma will also not cause a child to get pnemonia, the pnemonia or another upper respitory infection will make the asthma worse. Also, get the child a flu shot every year (cannot have the nasal mist--makes asthma worse) to help prevent the child from getting the flu which someone with asthma is at a greater chance of contracting. Your child may need a nebulizer to help control the asthma when she gets a cold or upper respitory infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• We converted our home over to ecofriendly products without bleach, ammonia, phosphates, etc. I have a friend who did the same and her 5 year old was able to stop his asthma treatments after a while and was not rehospitalized! I'd be happy to share more about the wholesale company that I shop with! (Just message me!)
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 6:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Asthma is a really scrary thing at this age, there is no real " natural " way to heal it I grew up with asthma and I always had breathing treatments and nebulizers , your going to have to wait and see if he out grows it which most children do I did around the age of 14 i have really bad allergies too that sometimes trigger it but maybe taking him to a specialist might help
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Asthma cannot turn into pneumonia. It is not caused by a virus or bacteria, but it can be aggrevated by it (as in the case with my kids)

My recommendation is that if your kid has received a diagnosis of asthma, you do some research so you will know what you're dealing with.

Steroids help open the airways and reduce the inflammation. The inflammation is what causes fluids to become "trapped" in the lungs (air sacs/passages) and then THAT is what can lead to pneumonia. With steroids opening the airways, they can cough the crap up and out of their lungs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009