Car Seat Installation

Has anyone ever actually taken there car seat to the fire dept to have them install your car seat for you? If so what do you ask, who do you actually call fire dept or police dept? I live in OK, I am not so sure what to do really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our fire dept will not do it. Half our dept doesn't kwo what a carseat it. I am depressed because the neighboring town said carseat wasn't needed for my 2 yr old (our law is 4 and 40), and just puit her in something. I know the local health dept will help with installing. Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• wow that is really sad :( What state do you live in? I will try our health dept cuz I feel like I would interfere with asking help with my car seat when they could be helping with a fire or wreck
    Anonymous

• ours doesn't do it anymore either - there were too many people saying that "the fire department' helped me install it when they were pulled over - too much of a liability for the fire dpt.

they do have monthly sessions though that people can go out to.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have used the Fire Department in my town numerous times for car seats. When my son was younger I had them check the installation as well as with my daughters infant carrier. We had a car accident and discover through the fire department that anytime there is an accident car seats must be replaced as they are compromised. So they helped us get a cheap but safe and good car seat to replace her old one. It was only 20 dollars and if you have state medical it will pay for it. They make sure the seat is in the safest spot in vehicle, in the proper position, and the straps are all proper for the child. They check periodically for you with all the transitional stages of seat and child too. And its free, a service that is priceless for the safety of our children. It is done through fire departments in all states.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 7:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm

Go to this website. It's the Child Safety Seat Inspection Station Locator.

We got both our car seats not only inspected but they installed it for us. They say 1 in 4 people do not put the car seat in correctly so that was enough for me to get it done correctly the first time.
    Anonymous

• Not all fire depts or police depts have a CPST. This is what you need. Worse, some fireman/cops THINK they know what they are doing, and DON'T. When you find a tech, just tell them you need help with installation, or if it's already installed, tell them you would like them to make sure it's in correctly, and if it's not, you'd like to know what was wrong, to avoid it in the future.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• our fire department won't do it either. But the police will and only certian people are certified. I haven't done it because we tired going to the fire station and got frustrated. Sometiems babies R us will do a safety event and do the inspections. i would call and make an appointment if I were you so you don't waste a trip. A co-worker had hers installed after a birthing class. so check wtih hospitals too.
    Anonymous

• Inspection station in Oklahoma
    Location City Phone
    # Ardmore Fire Station ardmore (580) 2212550 details..
    Ardmore Fire Station
    115 rockford road
    ardmore OK 73401
    Phone: (580) 2212550
    Monday-Friday
    # Saint Francis Hospital Tulsa 918-494-7233 details..
    Saint Francis Hospital
    6161 S. Yale
    Tulsa OK 74136
    Phone: 918-494-7233
    By appointment
    # Riverside Chevrolet Tulsa details..
    Riverside Chevrolet
    707 W. 51st
    Tulsa OK 74107
    Phone:
    Fourth Thursday of each month 10-12
    # The Children's Hospital Oklahoma City 405-271-5695 details..
    The Children's Hospital
    940 NE 13th Street
    Oklahoma City OK 73104
    Phone: 405-271-5695
    M-F appt only
    # Carter County Health Department Ardmore (580) 223-9705 details..
    Carter County Health Department
    405 S Washington
    Ardmore OK 73401
    Phone: (580) 223-9705
    M-F 7:00 am
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• # Owasso Fire Dept. Owasso details..
    Owasso Fire Dept.
    207 S. Cedar
    Owasso OK 74055
    Phone:
    Second Tuesday of each month 10-12
    # Moore Community Center Moore 405-794-1591 details..
    tabi_cat1023

• Those are from www.safekids.org and I search for inspection stations, theres also events in OK that you can find and go to. These people will also trade seats with you if yours doesn't fit your car or child or is too old or recalled.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009