Was the Emergency Broadcast System used on 9/11?

Has Emergency Broadcast System ever been used?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• On September 11, 2001, "...the EAS was not activated nationally or regionally in New York or Washington during the terrorist attacks on the nation." Richard Rudman, then chairman of the EAS National Advisory Committee explained that near immediate coverage in the national media meant that the media itself provided the warning or alert of what had happened and what might happen as quickly as the information could be distributed. "Some events really do serve as their own alerts and warnings. With the immediate live media coverage, the need for an EAS warning was lessened." 34 PEP stations were kept on high alert for use if the President had decided to order an Emergency Action Notification. "PEP is really a last-ditch effort to get a message out if the president cannot get to the media."
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i dont remember it being used but I was in school I caught glimpses of teh news here and there it may have been used in new york Im not sure
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't think it was. I was at home folding laundry when it happened and I can not recall it coming on.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• But they're sure to test that stupid system once a week at my cable provider!
    Anonymous

• They probably still should have issued it. There are a number of people (here on CafeMom) who think it was all a big hoax perpetrated by the Bush Administration! lol
    Anonymous

• "They probably still should have issued it. There are a number of people (here on CafeMom) who think it was all a big hoax perpetrated by the Bush Administration! lol"

Yup, this will most likely fuel their fire ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• They use it here, Tucson, AZ, during monsoon season to warn of flash floods.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• they use it here in northwest ohio for amber alerts, at least on the radio... I've also heard it used for tornado warnings here
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• EAS *does* get activated, though. It was activated in southern California during the 2003 and 2007 wildfires. It also gets activated during severe weather.

At the stations I've worked in, we've had the EAS system go off many times over the past few years. I wasn't at a broadcast station for 9/11 so I don't know what happened then.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009