monotheist (christians, islams, muslims, JW's, Jewish, etc...)

What made you turn to God? When you did ask for understanding.. did you do so with conviction?

Have you ever asked for understanding from another God/ess with conviction?

If not, have you ever questioned yourself about this founded understanding? If it's because you put so much conviction into it, that it made it real?

(note: I'm not trying to be rude, I just want a better understanding of this from a personal view point. If you find this offensive, I'm sorry. You can pm me about it, but please keep it out of this post, I want to keep this civilized. Thank you.)

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 6:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• thehairnazi,

I think my "conviction" she is referring to putting your own absolute faith into something and therefore, it becoming real to you by the sheer psychology of it. You believe in something, you're looking for it and you see something as evidence of what you believe BECAUSE of your belief. I think the question of conviction is somewhere along the times of: perhaps if you put ultimate faith into another being without question you'd get the same things back that you feel you're getting from God now, simply because you beleive it will happen and attribute those things to that diety.

Correct me if I'm wrong OP :-) But I agree that is how some gods are real to some people simply because they're real to them (but not physically, ACTUALLY real). I do not believe my God or my relationship with him falls into this category.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• note:

I will check your answers tomorrow.. feel free to pm me with any questions or concerns.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am glad you asked that here because I didn't know what the first post you made meant. SMILE

I was brought up in church so turning to God was a natural response once I got old enough to understand who He was. I was in my early teens. Then I went my own way for a while as a young adult and found that I was worse off. "There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is destruction" and I was the poster child for that. At about 27, I came back to God and He has been there for me just like He said He would be.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I really want to answer your question right now. But we have people coming over for dinner tonight and I need to clean up the kitchen and get out of my boxer shorts, LOL (it is too hot to wear real clothes). I have been procrastinating all day because I am pmsing and tired. anyways. I will come back and answer this tonight.

; )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I was brought up in an Italian Catholic family, went to Catholic school for 9 years, etc. I guess because I was raised that way, I never questioned it. I don't believe in everything in my religion, but I believe in most of it. There just are some things I don't agree with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It's very interesting that you post this question because I would reference a verse that's already in the OP of another question lol: James 1:5-8

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."

When we call upon the Lord and he answeres us (Jeremiah 33:3), calling upon anyone or anything else is an act of doubt. You cannot hold onto faith and doubt at the same time as they are two trains on the same track, moving in opposite direction. At one point you will have to let go and cling to one or the other.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i was 'born' into an xtian family, so there was never a time i didn't know of God. there have certainly been times i doubted i was important to God, but never doubted His existence.
    i never needed to ask for understanding from another god/goddess..i realize they are probably out there, as are many spirits, but they aren't mine...thus, i have no need of them or their thoughts. and no, i've never questioned my understanding of God. i've questioned string theory, and why its so wrong to wear white shoes after labor day, but never my 'founded understanding' of God. not sure what you mean by 'putting conviction into it'..its not an act on my part; its my life. if you mean having passion for my belief/understanding/decision to be a follower of God...it is what it is. its black and white for me. (otherwise, why do it at all?)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• This doesn't mean I don't learn about other religions or belief systems. There is morality, common sense and wisdom found in almost all religions and belief system out there. I do not direct my affection, reverence or worship or attempt to invoke a response from any other force or diety than God. If other gods existed AND they wanted me to follow them, they would call me as God has called me. They have not so I have no reason to believe they exist or are worthy of worship as the God who died for me and drew me to himself has :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I was pretty much raised in church. My earliest memory is my baptism(I was four)and my faith has been the most important part of my life from that moment on.
    I'm blessed, though, in that I had a rather diverse religious upbringing, and a mother who encouraged me to be true to my personal convictions, to think for myself, and to learn as much as I can.
    So, while I was introduced to Christianity at an early age, my religious upbringing was more about cultivating a relationship and passion for God, rather than an assimilation into the established church.
    Therefore I was encouraged to ask questions and learn as much as I can, even outside of Christianity, and to have respect and compassion for all others, which led me to Christian Universalism.
    I believe that there is One God, Who has inspired many paths. We just all perceive/understand Him differently and call him by a different name. I believe its all the same Guy, though!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2009