Polytheists?

What made you turn to the gods and goddesses? When you sought them, was it with conviction? Did you find understanding?

Have you ever asked for understanding from another God/ess with conviction?

If not, have you ever questioned yourself about this founded understanding? If it's because you put so much conviction into it, that it made it real?

(note: I'm not trying to be rude, I just want a better understanding of this from a personal view point. If you find this offensive, I'm sorry. You can pm me about it, but please keep it out of this post, I want to keep this civilized. Thank you.)

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 6:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always knew they were there. Even as a Christian I was polytheistic. Back then I viewed YHWH as the top dog God of the whole shebang, but not anymore. It's been a matter of respect for me. Not all the Gods have my respect or love. Some don't deserve it. But I've sought out the Gods that I can respect and learn from as worthy of my worship.

Absolutely I have asked for help and understanding from the Gods with deep conviction. And as to questioning the answers, I see you point, I think. Is it from the Gods or from the heart of man? Yes, I have had doubts at times when I believed that the Gods existed outside of us. But that's not entirely true. The Gods exist inside and outside of us. When you get a divine answer, you know it but even then not all answers are correct. Call it the Loki factor. Some things are divinely inspired mistakes instead. And some are purely self deceit. "Know Thyself" is the only balm.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• note:

I will check your answers tomorrow.. feel free to pm me with any questions or concerns.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I always believed in a higher power.
    Ive asked many times and felt convinced there was one.
    However, when it came to the Goddess....well, I "woke up" and came to realize that it seems only fair to honor her as well since I believe in a balance. Why wouldnt there be a female diety that helped create and all that?

Thats what convinced me and the fact that I feel connected to a female energy more than a male(know he's there just closer to the female side of things is all).

I have asked for strength, for knowledge,etc and have gotten it.

I dont ever ask if its not going to be sincere and with conviction.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• What a loaded question! I could write a book; I'll try not to!

The Abrahamic God just didn't connect to me. It's not as though I believed he existed and I turned to a pantheon; he just seemed paper thin. I imagine Christians, Muslims and Jews probably feel the same way about Dionysos, my patron god, as I do about their god. He seems like a character in a novel instead of something real.

I became close to my gods through first studying them, and then meditating with them. I interacted with them and came to love them. With Dionysos, I realized that I had a deeper relationship than I ever expected to have with him and never actually INTENDED to become so close to him.
    Raphaeline

Answer by Raphaeline at 7:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I felt a deep connection through mediation and through study. I know when I walk the circle I feel their presence. The God and Goddess never expect me to fall on my knees or fear them. I am like Raphaeline, I did not intend to be so close to my God and Goddess but I am so happy that I am.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• The Abrahamic God just didn't connect to me

This. It's like a brick wall. Or playacting. And all of the rules feel very wrong to me. Everything the Aesir are not. And that goes for other pantheons as well. They are there for certain people, I am not one of them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I almost always believed in a higher power. As Raphaeline said, the Abrahamic God didn't connect with me. I do believe he exists, don't get me wrong, I just don't think he's right for me. I tried for years to make that connection and it just never worked out. I put myself through hell on earth trying because I thought that I was a horrible person for not being able to connect with him, so I did everything to try. I prayed day and night, I practically begged for the holy spirit (which, incidentally, I think I received one night, but it was odd because I felt a very strong female presence enveloping me and saw a vision of a Goddess), I fasted, I read the Bible all the time, etc. It just never clicked for me. I had discovered Wicca when I was a kid and I sort of practiced for a few years. My step dad worked with someone who was Pagan and that guy actually invited me to an open circle when I was about 11, but I didn't get to go.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• CONTINUED:
    I ended up moving back with my grandparents because my parents were abusing me. Anyway, so I tried a few more years (8 to be exact) to be a Christian and it never worked out. I went through a 6 month atheist stint after my grandpa died last August, then I started studying religions again. Wicca, once again, called to my spirit. I felt so much more connected with those beliefs than any other. Now, I consider myself Eclectic Wiccan/Pagan (not sure which defines me better). I feel very connected to Bast(et) for some reason,and I've been studying her and praying and searching for my Patron God and Matron Goddess for a while now. I think she may be my Goddess, but I have no idea about God. I do feel the most connected to the Egyptian and Celtic patheons,though, so that's where I'm starting my search. I have, basically, just always felt drawn to Pagan religions and witchcraft. It seems like every other Pagan witch I meet
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• CONTINUED: (sorry this is so long!!!)
    tells me I'm a natural witch, though I have no idea what that means as it could mean different things coming from different people.

Essentially, I feel more connected to a God and Goddess than to one single God.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009