i need help from the grammer people.... :)

can you help me learn when to use then and than? i have been driving myself crazy the past few days...im trying to use better grammer. lol. so will you help?
*please no bashing- i went to school (i didnt do well but i went), graduated (barely but still got the diploma), and at least im trying to learn

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://ask.reference.com/related/What+Is+the+Difference+between+Than+and+Then?qsrc=2892&l=dir&o=10601
    Anonymous

• I'm better than you at grammar. ;-) I'm going to get something to eat and then take a shower.

Examples for you...not sure how to explain it. Hmm. Than is for an amount, as in like greater than or equal to, and then has to do with time. If you can remember that (amount vs. time) you can try remembering which is which by alphabetical order, amount would come before time alphabetically and than comes before then alphabetically. I kind of think about it that way...hopefully that makes some sort of sense to you and is helpful :-)
    Anonymous

• "Then" would be used in reference to time or relativity: Back then, they rode horses. Then, they invented cars.

"Than" is used in comparison: Macaroni is better than nothing. I have more cheese than you.

I'm not the grammar police, but I like helping. :)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My husband just learned this, so don't feel bad. I told him two things:

Then has to do with consequence and time: First we bought the car, then we registered it with the DMV.

Than has to do with comparison: My kid is taller than your kid.

Those tips didn't work for my DH, so if this is you (and again, don't feel bad) just remember this:

When in doubt, it's probably than.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• How about remembering that the "e" in then could mean "eternity" or time, I saw him then (then with an "e".

and the "a" in than would be like the "a" in as much as more than he has. (than with an "a")

Sometimes rather than just memorizing what a word means, I have to play a game to remember it. So for "then" it can be e- eternity or time. For "than" it can be a- as -comparison.

Answer by Bmat at 7:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009