my 4 year old is smarter then i am

so we were writing her name and stuff today just hanging out talk then all of a sudden she start speaking spanish and i though she was just baby talking bc i am about to have another baby and so i said stop talking like a baby and she goes mom its spanish you dont know spanish? ummm no i dont know spanish bc 1st of all it wanst offered in school only french was and 2nd of all i am not spanish. Do your kids just ever amaze you sometimes, and what did they do to amaze you?

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 7:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• darn dora the explorer! but dont feel to bad between the time when your daughter was a baby and you were a baby we have learned that it is thousands of times easier for a child to pick up a second language before they are 5 than it is after thus hundreds of toys out on the market are bi-lingual even tri-lingual thus preschoolers make us look retarded LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You should watch Dora, Deigo and Handy Manny with her more often! lol
    My DD does the same thing.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• OMG! LOL! My daughter does the Spanish thing and Chinese. She watches Dora, Deigo, and Kai Lan. lol
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 7:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• YES! my daughter is 2 and I just look at her with a blank face lol Dora,Deigo and Kai Lan..Its funny and cute.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son does that too, but sometimes I know he is making up spanish words just so he feels like he knows more than he does....LOL
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My now 4 yr old has been picking up other languages since he was 16 months. In Mexico, he picked up Spanish. In Israel he began using only Hebrew for certain words but he would know when to switch it to English for people who didn't know Hebrew - like his daycare buddies or my mom. It amazing what little sponges they are.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My 9 year old amazes me all the time. When he was three he started doing multiplication and division - not written, but like word problems (ie mom's making 12 muffins for supper and there's 4 of us, how many do each of us get? And he would answer right back with 3). He's been classified AG, but even his AG work when it's math related, it's way below the level he's at. I supplement his math school work at home (my degree is in highschool math education). He's also way quicker than me with simple addition facts - I always ask him which is a better deal at the grocery store when there's two different sizes or when things are like 20% off.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009