Food allergy and behavior?

My son is currently under a peds care for his behavior. she has not formally diagnosed anything yet but has ordered some specialist and is putting some test off until he is 6, He is 5. Anyway, she never mentioned food allergies. there seems to be a lot of controversy when I looked it up as to whether food allergies can really be a problem. Any experiences you could share with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Forgot to add that I really wouldn't wait on testing......most behavior problems don't just fade into the night. I have seen that many times before in my job.The longer you wait to find out what is wrong, the more set the behavior becomes, and the harder it is to correct (or control depending on if the behavior is/becomes dangerous).

If the behavior is bad enough to have you and/or your doctor even a little worried it's not worth waiting around to see what happens. Good luck to you both.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I do believe that food allergies can absolutely impact behavior. I had a student a few years ago whose mom totally revamped his diet. No processed sugar, no wheat, limited dairy. It was a very restrictive diet, but his behavior turned around in a very short period of time. It took a ton of work because she had to basically cut out all processed foods.

I would at least try to rescrict the amount of sugar he eats and see if that helps. 

BTW, your doctor sounds like a good one for holding off testing until your son is older. Testing kids that young can lead to invalid results. If you wait a little you will have a much clearer picture of what's going on.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• While I don't personally believe food allergies have anything to do with behavior, I do believe that early intervention is of utmost importance!!! If it is believe now there is a problem he should be tested!!! The earlier you catch problems and begin treatment the better! If it's "bad" enough that the doctors are suspecting something.....you really shouldn't put off any testing!
    Anonymous

• My mom removed all red dye from my diet as a child for behavioral reasons... There's a boy at my son's daycare who is 5 and his mom did the same thing under advice from his pediatrician and his behavior turned right around... I think eliminating the sugar is an excellent start, and you might try red dye... give it a good month if not 2 before saying it didn't work, and don't re-introduce those things at that time, just try eliminating something else as well... I'm not all gun hoe about the government is poisoning us, processed food is bad, blah blah blah, but I have witnessed both personally and first hand sugar and red dye elimination doing a 180 on young children's behavior... to this day if I drink red pop, eat red popsicles, drink hawaiian punch, or red wine, or anything else with a lot of red dye in it I get a very very bad migraine. My 3.5 year old doesn't get red dye for the same reasons, he goes nuts on it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I am an ABA therapist (Applied Behavior Analysis) work mainly with autistic children. In many MANY cases severel of my kids were put on gluten free, or whatever (totally depends on the child's needs) and there was an amazing difference in behavior and attention.

MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• He is being evaluated by an autism specialist to rule out Aspergers and the regular ped wants to hold off on having him evaluated for ADHA 'til he is in school and we have a clearer picture.
    Anonymous