Quiet breast pump?

I EBF my DD but i am returning to school in the fall. I still plan to BF her but I also want to be able to pump while I am away. I dont want everyone and their mothers to be able to hear my pump. I have an evenflow comfort pump and it is soooo noisy! I cant imagine using this pump without people being able to hear me from miles away[lol]
any suggestions? something not TOO expensive.

loves_her_baby

Asked by loves_her_baby at 7:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try a hand pump. I have a Medulla hand pump that has a trigger you squeeze. It works very well without too much effort and it's super quiet. I think it costs less than $20.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I don't have a recommendation, but I do have advice on what to stay away from. That evenflo one that you have. I'm surprised that its working well for you. Anything by Medela, Ameda, or even Lansinoh should be great. Evenflo, Gerber, I'd steer clear of. I believe Avent ones are ok, at least the Avent manual one I had was. There is one called Whisper Wear, which is supposed to be quiet, and, you wear it under your clothes, and is supposedly not noticeable. That would be good if you are on a certain pumping schedule, and a pumping session falls during a class, or a similar situation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Can you find a quiet space where no one will be able to hear? At work I use the medela (it's expensive, I know but I had gift cards) and I was worried about this, too. I asked my boss and she gave me a private, empty office to use. Can you ask a kind professor or counselor for a space? Women with kids are very accomodating in this circumstance, as they all understand the situation you're in. I'd try finding a quiet place, you're gonna want it! Good luck and good job on pumping. It's hard work, but after a while you get into a routine and it's not that bad.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Be proud and LOUD your giving your baby the best thing ever. When I went back to work I had to pump and when we would go on breaks I was never with the other people and they asked where I went so yeah at first it was kinda embarrassing to tell em but then I ended up educating them about babys and BF and made some of them not wants babys lol. It can be awkward and strange but once you do it a couple times its a groove. But I had the Medela shoulder bag pump and it wasnt too loud. But just keep in mind this is for your baby and if someone wants to criticize you for being a better Mother than they were (maybe not that extreme) but you can tell them where and when to shove it!!! Say this to your self I LOVE MY BOOBS AND THE MILK THEY MAKE!!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2009