Is it safe to take acai berry supplements while breastfeeding?

I've heard about the wonders of the acai berry diets. I was thinking about trying it for myself; the only hesitation I have is that I'm breastfeeding my son. Do any of you know if it would be safe to take while I'm nursing? And also, will it have any kind of effect on my son? Thanks for any input you might be able to give me.

Shannashell

Asked by Shannashell at 7:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 11:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't, you aren't supposed to "diet" while breastfeeding.

From a website on breastfeeding: Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have heard it is not a great thing for BF moms, however I take a product called Liv sXinney. It is 100% natural and no stimulants. Totally safe for BF moms and PG women as well. I is the healthiest thing I have ever seen. I tried it to help me feel better and lose weight and it changed my life so much that I am now a distributor of it. In a nut shell it takes your body from an acidic state to an alkaline state, eliminates toxins, shrinks fat cells, boosts your energy levels, helps you sleep better, balances your PH and so much more. I have lost almost 10 lbs, and 7 inches in a month and a half, I am no longer on my antidepresants, and when I go to bed at night I sleep ALL night long! I would love to share more with you if you are interested. You can email me at livsxinney702@hotmail.com I will send you more info so you can get all the details! This truly is amazing!
    BrittneyO

Answer by BrittneyO at 10:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009