Feeding issues with my infant. What could it be?

Sypmtoms:
Spits up at least a couple times after eating
Spit up comes out of his nose sometimes
Coughs/gags while eating occasionaly
Irritable and Fussy everytime he eats, for @ least 30 mintues after

He was breast fed the first 2 weeks, then i weened to enfamil lipil for one week and then changed to enfamil gentlease. He is four weeks tomorrow. He burps every 2 oz. and eats 4 oz. The formula also made him constipated last week, but i think his body adjusted because he poops fine now.

Reflux? colic? Gas? Still hungry? and i also think it could be the formula?
Thanks in advance.

kristen_renee3

Asked by kristen_renee3 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The spitting up sounds pretty normal.
    The coughing and gagging is probably just him getting too much at once. My son, who is breastfed, coughed and gagged all the time for the first couple of months.
    If he is only fussy for thirty minutes after eating, consider yourself lucky. Baby's digestive system is completely new, and they seem to make a lot of gas that they cannot pass very easily.
    If your baby is gaining weight, and the doc isn't worried, I wouldn't be either.
    Good luck, and try not to stress too much!
    fizzy

Answer by fizzy at 7:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If he were solely breastfed, I'd say overactive letdown. Once you throw the formula in there, I know nothing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would try and buy him a new bottle that vents out, I bought these bottles that vent out from the bottom I don't remember what brand they are but you can get them at wal-mart and I've never had a problem with him spitting up or trying to pass gas and make sure the nipple the right size it should say on the bottle pack or you can just buy nipples that are age 0-3 months, bottles make a big big diference good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• spit up out the nose sounds like reflux. my girlfriend's DD and my little cousin had the same problem. rice cereal in the bottle should help with keeping the milk down. or you might have to change the formula to soy. that helped alot too.
    Anonymous

• Get a little mylicon and put a couple of drops in the bottle before feeding it to the baby. It will get rid of any air in the formula before feeding, esp if you are using powdered kind. I always had much better success with ready-to-use formula. It seems to go down a lot better with less gas. Sure its a little more expensive, but it's worth it. Also, I loved the Avent bottles. My son was colicky and these were by far the best as preventing spitting up and gas. Try this, and if things don't improve in a couple of weeks, I would see the pediatrician to make sure that reflux is not an issue.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Sounds like reflux to me too, but do not put rice cereal in a bottle. Talk to your dr - both my 9 year old and my 8 month old had to be put on zantac to control their reflux.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009