How can I explain to my boss that I have had a better job oppurtunity and need to take it (when the time comes)?????

I've been with this company for 2 years and I really have it easy here but am not making enough money and want to pursue my real estate career here ( i work in a real estate office) but its not helping me further my career and if im going to pursue it, im going to need more money for the classes and all that good stuff and Im being offered a little more money and an oppurtunity to learn more things, and really an oppurtunity to figure out exactly what i want to do with my future...and i am really close to my boss and all my agents here and don't know how i would tell them when the time comes, that i need to leave...especially since i would be in the same subdivision that i work in currently and will be working out of an office that they go to and eat lunch regularly! Just a little nervous!

Jalisasmommy

Asked by Jalisasmommy at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• When the time comes, explain it like you did to us: you want to advance in the real estate business and this job offer will help you do that. You can make it a point to thank everyone, especially your boss for the help or inspiration or whatever you will fondly remember and that you look forward to running into them in the future! Remember you owe yourself more than you owe an employer. If you are respectful about it, there should not be any problem. If they really think you should stay, they can always make you an offer.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• If you are close with your boss I think you should maybe write a letter stating just what you said.. I appreciate the opportunity you have given me, however I feel I am at a time in my life where I am looking for advancement and unfortunately I don't feel that your company is right for me at this time.
    mom2-2

Answer by mom2-2 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Just give in your 2 week notice when you know that you are hired.
    ErikaM27

Answer by ErikaM27 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Thanks, i know im going to give a 2 weeks but just feel so bad for leaving my boss hanging like this ya know? ive grown to like him a lot and everyone in this office is like a 2nd family to me, its going to be hard but i need to do it!
    Jalisasmommy

Answer by Jalisasmommy at 4:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with ErikaM27 - give them your resignation letter (only when you're officially hired). Since you have, however, a great relationship with your boss, if you can give them 3-4 week notice and just have the new employer have you start in 3-4 weeks, that way your bosses know that you're not leaving them cold. The fact is, you have to do what's best for you so don't let your warm relationships at your current job stop you from pursuing your dream. They will understand - life goes on.
    ejshemil

Answer by ejshemil at 4:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Thanks but im thinking this guy needs someone ASAP and im going to tell him 2 weeks is the minimum! I just wonder if im going to feel like crap during that 2 week period ya know? I hate it and would be so much easier for me to leave on bad terms but i can't do that to my resume!
    Jalisasmommy

Answer by Jalisasmommy at 4:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• just explain you have loved working here but you have found a job that better suits your needs.. let them know that you will give ur 2 weeks notice and might need to use them as a reference
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 4:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• oh for sure! thanks ladies, i already feel a little better! :D
    Jalisasmommy

Answer by Jalisasmommy at 4:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Just write him a letter giving him enough notice. If you can give 30 days that would be great, but at least 2 weeks. Talk to him but also give him the notice in writing. Thank him for the opportunity to work there and know that you did your job. Moving on is a part of life. He's experienced this before so don't feel bad about it at all.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• yes indeed! i know that i am the only receptionist that has stuck it out this long but they have been through this, you are right! one of my agents that works out of this office has RUN EVERYONE else out! Real JERK! but i know how to deal with him because he's not my boss! LOL!
    Jalisasmommy

Answer by Jalisasmommy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008