Does medicade pay for dental for kids? I live in Alabama they have patient 1st

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think this is a question for your caseworker because every state's MA program is different. I know that in my state MA will pay for dental & orthdontic work if it is deemed medically necessary and, of course, only through approved service providers/clinics.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Medicaid is the same in every state, it is a federal program run by each state. Dental is covered but good luck finding a dentist that accepts it. They do NOT cover orthodontic services at all. I have medicaid and the oral surgery my son needs is covered but I have to pay for orthodontic out of pocket and have no idea where I am going to come up with $3000-5000 to do so. He needs braces so I will have to figure something out, sort of selling a body part or prostitution. Cleanings, etc are all covered. There is one clinic that takes medicaid in my city, it takes months to get an appointment except in an emergency, It isn't a bad clinic, just a very busy one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I beg to differ tyfry. Although MA is a federal program, states have the freedom to run their programs however they choose as long as they meet the basic federal guidelines. Unfortunately, as a result of this autonomy in programming, not all state's MA programs are created equal.

For example, here MA covers every child with a qualifying disability regardless of family income (there are only 5 states that have this type of disability loophole in their MA programs) and, in my state, orthodontics ARE covered for all children who qualify for MA, regardless of what kind of MA they have; If the orthodontic work is deemed medically necessary, they it's covered (my son has had extensive orthodontic work). We also have multiple providers who accept MA, depending on what part of the state you live in.

To the OP: Again, check with a caseworker to find out the details of your state's MA program.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• yes they do pay for dental for kids until their 21st birthday. alabama has one of the best dental programs for kids. i lived there for 4 yrs
    sweetwhite30

Answer by sweetwhite30 at 3:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2009