When did you stop cutting up you child's food?

Just wondering?

Mom2Mylie

Asked by Mom2Mylie at 8:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know this doesn't really answer your question, because my son is 16 months, so I still cut his food. But for a funny answer.. I am a mother, a wife and pregnant with my second child. I am the youngest of six kids, when my mom comes over I still ask her to cut my food. haha I don't know why. I tell her its because shes here.. I'm lazy today. But really it just reminds me of good times being a little kid. lol. I always asked my mom to cut my food all the way through high school. She just does it better. lol. I tell her, yes, I realize I will be expeted to do this for my kids, but.. I dig it. lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Omg, when I first read your question I thought it said "when did you stop cutting your childs foot?" and I was like "What?!?!?!"
    lol!
    I still cut most of his and he's almost three.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• when he told me he don't want it cut up anymore, but sometime like today he wanted his banana cut up

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Until they are old enough to cut there own with out injury. My oldest daughter is 12 and has been cutting her own meat since she was 8 my 7 year old is no where near being allowed to handle a knife and my 9 year old has just started cutting his own and I still cut my 4 year olds of course.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My son is 3.5 and I cut most things for him, I don't trust him with a sharp knife obviously and a butter knife or plastic doesn't cut meat. I think I'll stop cutting his food when I feel he's mature enough to use a steak knife without injury to himself or others.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My kids are 3 and 4 and we still cut up most of there foods because it's the right thing to do. They don't always chew properly like adults, so we want to make sure that we cut the things up into bite size pieces. IF they just swallow it will still go down.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Depends on what it is. Stuff like hotdogs I only cut if my 3yo asks me to. Half the time she picks it up and eats it like that. Other meat I still cut for her but nothing else. I'm trying to teach my older kids to cut their own meat. My son has been using a steak knife since he was 5 (he's almost 8 now) but steak is too tough for him to cut but he'll do his chicken and other meat. My oldest daughter is just lazy (she's 9) and my middle daughter (6) doesn't have the dexterity and coordination to use a sharp knife. She can barely handle a butter knife, lol.
    Since I've been refusing to cut my 9yo's food she just picks it up with her fork and nibbles off of it. I guess that works, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009