I have been trying to have a baby for a year, doctor conducted a few test and the report was ok. Doctor has suggested to get an laproscopy done, any views on if it is a good idea to get it done.

babara

Asked by babara at 8:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My husband and I had two children ages 5 and 3 together "the old fashioned way". Shortly after the birth of my daughter, he got a vasectomy and then shortly after that a reversal. We have been trying for 3 years unsuccessfully. We finally broke down and had a semen analysis done that revealed IUI may be our best bet due to the volume and viscosity of his sperm. We went to a fertility specialist who is now making us under go various expensive tests such as injecting dye into my uterus and fallopen tubes...and extracting a piece of my endometrial lining! I feel this testing on me is rather unnecessary and a way for them to collect $1400 from us! This is not fun, but we are doing all this just to have the IUI done, and finally have that last baby we so desperately want.
    zavmommy2

Answer by zavmommy2 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Hi,

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with a baby girl conceived through IUI after 18 cycles of trying.  We had semen analysis, bloodwork, a sonohysterogram (SHG), and a hysterosalpinogram (HSG).  A laparoscopy was never even mentioned.  Have you had any of those tests done yet?  If not, I would ask your doctor why they are recommending a laparoscopy right off.  It's an invasive and expensive surgery, and there's a good chance your insurance will not cover it.  It used to be routine in infertility testing, but there are much less invasive, simpler procedures and tests available.

zavmommy2:

The dye test you are referring to is called an HSG and it's actually pretty important--my insurance required it before it would cover any other procedures. It checks for blockages in your fallopian tubes. If your tubes are blocked, then IUI is useless. Don't know about the endometrial lining thing though.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 8:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• For what it's worth, I had an endometrioma (blood-filled cyst) that they could see in the left ovary on ultrasound. That was the initial reason why I had a lap done. When he was in there, he found stage III endometriosis and blocked tubes that I had no symptoms of. If I didn't at least see the cyst, I'm not sure I would have done it, but I'm glad I did.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009