Mirena IUD

Hello,

I have the Mirena IUD it will be 5 years on the 27th of this month that I have had it. My insurance will not cover to get it out and I really dont have the cash to pay out right at this point. Can some one tell me will it still work after the 5 years? I am assuming since it says a 5 year BC that it wont but I just wanted to make sure.

shada81380

Asked by shada81380 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Health

• The hormones stop working after around 5 years but there isn't a timer on it that quits after 5 years to the day. Its a barrier device so it will continue working to block sperm after the hormones run out but it wont be as effective. Its not that expensive to have it removed from a womens clinic or planned parenthood. I'm sure you would be ok for a few months after the 5 years but I am no Doctor.

The way I think of it is, if it lasted forever, then how would Mirena make any money from it? Its like how the old fashioned beds with the steel springs that lasted 20 years. People weren't buying them as often, so they started designing the springs to fail after around 5 years.

In the end, its always about money.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Will your insurance cover a regular office visit or your annual exam? If so, maybe you could have it removed as part of an appointment that is covered. Call you doc and see if they can work with you. I recently had mine removed and there was nothing to it. I didn't feel a thing. I would think the cost would be incurred when you get it. I imagine there is a nominal cost for disposal. But seriously, my appointment took all of five minutes. It took longer to get undressed/dressed.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 9:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2009