How can i get my son to get involved in his soccer team?

So Im coaching my 5 year old son's soccer team. He was very excited about it until we started practices!! Tonight was our first real practice and he did not want to do anything. All he would do was take off his shin guards and shoes!! I have coached for several years with my older boys and never had this problem!! Any advice??Also we have only 5 kids on our team so we really need him to play,lol!!

threeboysmama

Asked by threeboysmama at 8:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter, almost 5, has an issue of not participating in things as well. When we aren't around though, she's fine and enjoys it. It's like she reverts to some other child that is 2 vs. 5 because we are around.

Unfortunately for you, you're the coach so I'm sorry my advice wouldn't be good... but it's to leave the scene.

Maybe talk to him 1:1 afterward? Ask him what would make him get up there and play. Maybe sit down with all the players and tell them the expectations of practice (1) no hands 2) play nice 3) no sitting unless a water break 4) Shoes stay on our feet.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009