Housekeeping.

Has anyone ever had a job in a hotel as a housekeeper? I got my job today and I start on Monday. Since I have never been a housekeeper before, I am wondering what to expect. Training on Monday, but until then, I kinda wanna know what's going on before I go in, just kind of a heads up. It'd be nice if I could have some experiences and such. I'm earning $9 an hour, which is 45 cents above minimum wage, plus tips. What can I expect for tips? Just looking for moms who have been there and done that :D

kadens_momma_15

Asked by kadens_momma_15 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• dont expect much for tips it is my understanding that housekeeping at hotels sucks. I always try to pick up my room but I know most people dont have the mentality my family has. Expect to change a lot of bed linens some which may be repulsive scrub a lot of toilets and do a lot of laundry and see the "do not disturb" sign as a godsend. Your lucky minimum wage is what it is where you live here in wisconsin they JUST bumped it up to $7.25. With an unemployment rate at 10% just be greatful to have the job and when you are vacuming for teh hundredth time just remember there are people who would kill to do what your doing
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have worked ages ago my friend and I were one of the fastest so we got more mores we just did our rooms togeter you pretty much have to make sure everything is clean expecially in the bathroom change sheets on all the beds vacumme, tips well we had whole bunch of girls working from the prison that did work release and they showed up like and hour before we got there and they always stole our tips when we did get them, and it was usually anywere from 0-5 bucks a day, but back then this town was much smaller so there wasn't that many people traveling here, but sometimes people leave cool stuff behind and if they don't claime it you can keep it
    Anonymous

• and one time someone had a huge party so they puked on everything bed pillows floor the whole room was covered in puke and we took out 24 bid bags of trash out of there and no tip, but only happend to me once and It also depends were you live,
    it was a shitty paying job shitty tips but I still liked it you didn't have a boss over your shoulder at all times
    Anonymous

• You probably will be put with another housekeeper..That person will show you what you have to do..You will be cleaning Hotel rooms.Making beds,,dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms..Regular house cleaning stuff..But just over and over again..Like 6 to 10 rooms a day

Answer by louise2 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yea i have. Its not a bad job. Some people leave good tips, some people leave a dollar, then others leave nothing at all. At the place i worked we had to turn it tips. Then at the end of each month they split them up amoung us fairly, depending on who worked how many hours and ect.
    So you might wanna ask if they haven't told you, what kind of policy they use. At the end of the month I got anywhere from 60-150 in my tips. Not so much. :p
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2009