Agree or disagree and WHY?

"Religion is what the common man sees as true, the wise man sees as false, and the ruler sees as useful."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion is man trying to seek God but he wants to do his own thing too. The wise man is one who does exactly what the Bible says and the ruler admires the wise man but he'd rather practice religion.In other words,if you are in charge of alot of people,you will want them to admire you and you will do things like them and you won't stand out like the wise man and you will get lost in the crowd and be forgotten.
    Anonymous

• Some of THE wisest people I know are religious...
    Anonymous

• disagree because wise men know it all.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree: (This is my Christian perspective) 

The common man:  we are creatures of habit with a desire for worship which sometimes can lead us into ritual rather than spirituality or relationship.  In history when Christians did not have access to scripture they could read, they followed however it was interpreted to them.

The wise man:  Jesus was not only God-the-Son but also a wise man and among others, who throughout the Bible, stressed the importance of relationship with God rather than putting faith in ritual and objects.

The ruler:  Doesn't history speak of this for itself?  I watched a documentary on the Knights of Templar the other day who were sentenced to torture and death by King Phillippe using the claims that they comitted sins against the church....all because France didn't want to repay the Knights for their conquests during the Crusades.  Do I need to give more examples?  lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree, and as for why?  The quote says it all!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I agree with that quote. The common man who has no wisdom to see what is false . God speaks of being wise and to walk in wisdom and the wise person will recognize that religion is false ( as opposed to a relationship with Jesus) and the ruler will use it for or against us.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Totally agree with the quote.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• agree
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Wow.. November love good answer,
    OP what she said.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Totally agree. The common man seeks a meaning to a meaningless life, the wise man has no need for that and the ruler needs a tool to command the fearful masses.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009