Working the full 10 months of pregnancy?? agree or disagree???

I am a preschool teacher. I work with kids all day long which is the greatest thing in the world but can sometimes be very stressful. I want to know do you think its a good idea to work the whole time Im pregnant??? I want to stay home with the baby for 3 months after birth but that depends on if I take time off or not.

Deanna84

Asked by Deanna84 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, I think it depends entirely upon you and your doctor. I was a stylist while I was pergo and I only quit 3 weeks before my baby was born because my belly got in the way!! I think your body will tell you when enough is enough.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 9:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Yep!! I worked up until the day I had to go to the hospital. I was good excercise for me anyways. I work with the public everyday and it does not matter what day of the week it is someone was always either yelling or cussing in my face.

Yeah pre-schoolers are tough but the public girl I tell ya.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• if you work then you might want to work the entire pregnancy and take your maternity leave after the baby is born instead of taking some leave before. you can prepare for the birth without taking off work. It was easier on me to work up to the last minute and take off afterwards.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I didn't really have a choice. I worked up until about 4 days before I had my son.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• i worked until 5 days before he was born.. then took off and never went back.. i ws a hair dresser and boy at the end it ws hard!! working 12 hour days standing up all day with pre-eclampisia... nightmare but i knew we needed to save the money so i worked
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I worked right up until days before with my first two pregnancies. I got pregnant with twins 5 months after my second born and I just didn't have it in me to work that long. So I worked for three months. Luckily I had workman's comp insurance or something like that, it gave me a paycheck until I could go back or quit. I ended up having to quit.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My sister was a labor and delivery floor nurse when she was pregnant; she worked until the evening before she delivered

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I worked right up until the day that both of my kids were born. At least at a preschool you have some opportunities to sit sometimes. I would come up with more activities that involve you sitting....extra stories and coloring time. But the exercise is good for you too. It keeps you strong so that you will have an easier time in labor. If you stopped working and sat around at home, resting and sleeping (which may be what you wish you were doing while at work) you would get weak and increase your chances for a c-section if you don't have the strength to make it through labor.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My SIL worked until the week before she was due. Personally, I would save all my time for when the baby is here.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I worked with kids 3 out of 4 (with exception to my last) of my pregnancies, one was at a day school working with children from ages 2-14 years of age. I worked all the way up to the time my baby was due on 2 out of four of my pregnancies, my last and first which I had complications with both and they did have to take the baby early, my last I was on bed rest.

I say talk to your doctor, see what he/she thinks and play it by ear as how well your pregnancy goes because things can happen later down the road to prevent you from working through and then again you may be just fine and able to work all the way up till birth, or at least last week or so till delivery.

*Remember even in a healthy pregnancy that the first term you should be careful to not lift any small children or get kicked in belly by one as you can loose the baby, and the last term is very painful and you will go potty a lot as the baby as dropped.*
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2009