my son is 2 months old...can he drink plain water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't give him much he drinks plenty in the breast milk or formula. I gave my kids one oz sometimes not often tho
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• If you think he is thirsty, give him breast milk or formula.It has water in it. Too much water can be harmful to a newborn.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 9:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No, they suggest no water until they stop nursing. Simply because they can feel full on water, which has no nutrition, and not want to eat. This can lead to losing weight, which for a child is a BAAAD thing. No water, just bm or formula.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• NOOO! Unless your DR tells you to which is rare. He is getting PLENTY of hydration from breastmilk. YOU need to drink plenty of water though! It was thought many years ago that babies needed water so if an "old schooler" is telling you to do that, ignore them. My MIL used to tell me that I needed to give my twins water all the time and that they "looked" thirsty but I had to tell her to shut it!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I have a 3 month old and have given him water a number of times since he was about 2 months old. Water helps relieve constipation, a problem my son had when I stopped breast feeding and switched to formula. Also, days when we have spent a lot of time in the heat (at the zoo, beach, etc.) I have given him an ounce to make sure he's staying hydrated. I noticed him getting really fussy in the heat even when I gave him milk/formula, but the water was just the ticket.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 9:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• This is a question you should be asking your pediatrician, not CafeMom members.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no no no it can cause water intoxication and kill your child...google it, theres tons of info about it. 6 months minimum for water
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• http://chemistry.about.com/b/2006/01/17/water-intoxication-babies.htm
    http://www.parenthood.com/article-topics/water_and_babies_dont_mix.html
    http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/avoiding_water_intoxication_in_babies
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Generaly no just Brest Milk and Formula unless your Pedi says otherwise
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Water never hurt anyone, just don't give too much.  A few sips here and there are appropriate during these hot months, but at this age the main fluid and nutrient has to be milk of some form.

Kim, from justamomha.com

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 11:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009