Potty training

Wanted to know what anyone else thinks of my DD peeing in the corner behind her toy, and if you think she could be ready for potty training. Shes 13 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've heard the bladder isn't fully mature until the age of two, so doing it this early may or may not cause a bit of a headache until her body can cooperate. My daughter is 21 months and exhibiting some of the typical "ready for potty" behaviors. She can tell me when she poops and needs a "DAHper" and she sometimes tells me BEFORE she does, or she'll pull at her diaper before she does something. My advice would be to wait a little while before trying to train her cold turkey. Usually I don't believe in pull ups because they are mostly just glorified diapers...but since your daughter is so young, you could give them a try. Buy her a little potty chair, spend some time getting her used to it and letting her sit on it without expecting anything to happen. Then start taking her every hour and praise her big time if she pees or poos in it. If she seems to get it, has few accidents in the pull ups, and can express when she has to go
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd did that too at that age, but is 2 now and still not interested in really PTing.

It doesn't hurt to buy her a potty and give ti a shot - but do not push her if she does not want to do it. Make it a fun thing.

But, it's not like at this age they have very good, if any, bladder control, so don't expect too much, but like I said it doesn't hurt to try, if you listen to her cues if she is NOT ready to do it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ...then try it with the underwear and see what happens. If, on the other hand, she seems to still lack control, can't tell you when she has to potty, and doesn't seem to be able to control her bladder. (In other words, the tinkles you get in the pot are mere luck of the draw...but she doesn't show interest in making it there when she has to go and you aren't right with her) then I would suggest keeping her in the pull ups or diapers, and just keep taking her to sit on it for a few more months to keep her interested in it...and then when she is a little older she'll start being able to tell you when she has to go and you can try again. Just don't rush things. Most kids are much closer to two or even three before they are ready... and trying to do things before that will just cause lots of tension for you and your child. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2009