Is there any one out there that is having a hard time getting there child to read?

My 7 year old was held back in 1st grade due to reading. I work with him at home and he crys yells he hates reading. I have tried books that he likes. He is fine if I read them to him . He has been tested. They have found nothing.

Steffie32

Asked by Steffie32 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no - sorry mine always loved reading since kindergarten...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Have you only tried fiction books? Maybe some non-fiction books on things he likes would help as well. Spiders? Cars? Airplanes? Dinosaurs?

Maybe start with a reward system. If he reads so many picture books in a week or two weeks time he gets to go out to eat, or a pizza night, or a trip to the ice cream place, etc.

Our library has a summer reading program where there are rewards as well. Maybe you should see if yours has one.
    Anonymous

• try the Bob books

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Has he had his eyes checked? Can he read the individual words? There could be many underlying issues. Is it just reading that he is struggling with? Or is he getting frustrated with all subjects? He could have a food intolerance that is interfering with his ability to think & concentrate.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am with motherofhope98 on this one. I think there is an underlying issue here. She hit the main ones too. We have food allergies and chemical sensativities, as well as ADD. My middle son hates to read, it's a real issue, always has been (he's 12) and no doubt he has that inattentive ADD. Staying away from as many food preservatives helps a lot. We did have his eyes and ears checked. We found out when his one eye has strain, it actually shuts down, so nothing that can be done at this moment for it, but it at least gave us an insight as to what was going on.

I loved to read as a child (and as an adult too!) and I always hoped my children would too, but he is not in that category! I understand what you are going through!
    shiningsoul

Answer by shiningsoul at 1:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Who tested him? School? Doctor? My son and a friend of his were both tested at school they found nothing! Both scored high one on one (turns out they both have ADD). That being said - I have always read to my kids and one (so far) is an avid reader. My other (w/ADD) has been capable of reading for years (he's 9) but his comprehension was not good. Drs. and school blamed it on the ADD & gave no helpful answers. I recently hired a tutor (specializing in ADD&dyslexia) who tested him and concluded that he was not capable of making pictures in his head from the words he was reading and that is what is tripping him up w/comprehension. After just 3 sessions w/tutor I can see a huge improvement in his comprehension and his interest in reading. It's no fun to read a story if you need to reread everything to get it. Have him tested-get answers. I also recommend the book Visualizing and Verbalizing-program my son is now on! It's great!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 10:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Hi,
    My son loved to read (and still does) but mostly picture books. He loved me reading to him, but as soon as I suggest he reads, the defences go up. Sometimes reading a page and then getting him to read another page works, but lately this is also going by the wayside and the nightly "joys " or sharing time we used to have with stories is being replaced with lights out & a closed door. Given that my husband and I seperated in Feb, I am at a crossroads as to which is more important. I had someone suggest taking the "practice time" away from the nighlty bedtime story routine. To actually make it a "homework session" ie 10 minutes. Then pairing it with some kind of reward system where after reaching a certain goal (ie 7 10 minute sessions) they get a prize/treat of their choice.......some thoughts.
    Angela
    Mary946

Answer by Mary946 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son can read but he prefers me to read to him ( he is 7) , I have found that if I look at library for books with easy reading words( not the grade readers - just regular simple stories) then he is more willing to read ( maybe doesn't look like schoolwork that way?) I also do the " I read one page then you read one page " thing , which works sometimes...Also my son loves transformers and I found some Transformer readers ( at walmart) which my son could not wait to read all by himself. I always let him know I am available to help with words he battles with.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh yes another trick I do, when you are in your car and stopped at a traffic light read out billboard signs you see. Make it into a game of "Let's see how many other signs say "
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• " can " for instance. Then get him to yell out when he sees one , you do it too!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2009