Is there a reason an 8 yr old still wets the bed?

My son had his friend sleep over for the first time last night, and the friend pre-warned me that he wet the bed sometimes, but I let him sleep anyway because I know it's not his fault. I also noticed that he does go to the bathroom alot too. If I was his mother I would be trying to figure this out with a doctor. I know abuse is one reason a child wets the bed, immature bladder function is another (which is what I think this kid's problem is), but I actually dated 2 guys who admitted doing it in their 20's. I know it'smostly a male problem, but it's disturbing. I think it's an attention-thing, you know when the mother doesn't really spend alot of time with her child. This kid's mother hardly ever does anything with her son, and both of those ex boyfriends I had, had horrible mothers. Is there anything to my theory?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• my bro peed the bed until like 9 or 10 - the dr said he actually slept so deep he couldnt wake his self up at night to go. so my mom had to set alarms & wake him to make him go. he eventually out grew it
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• it can be tied to food alergies. often dairy
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• It is rarely an attention thing.

If he seems to go a lot in the day, he may have other medical problems - like diabetes. If I was his mom, I would be looking for answers too but abuse and attention would be last on my list.
    What steps should any mom in this situation take?
    First, make sure there is no medical reason.
    Once you know he's fine, consider the primary cause is not waking up to pee.The brain simply does not hear the bladder screaming for help and the kid does not wake up.
    A bedwetting alarm is the most common solution to this problem.
    Another possible solution is to wake him at the same time every night until he learns to wake himself. The best time is 1/2 hour before he pees - assuming he pees around the same time every night.

By the way, the age old advice of limiting fluids does not work. The body will clean out the blood no matter how little you drink.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my so peed the bed till he was 10, but my son has never had an accident.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 10:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Because parents rush to potty train children and not wait til they are ready..thats why
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My boys are 12, 10. The 12 yr old still wets the bed. The 10 yr old just stopped wetting not too long ago. My oldest is ASD, and he is a deep sleeper. He does not wake up to go. I also think his bladder is not very mature yet. He wears pull-ups to bed and that helps, he does pee before bed too. My mom, my 2 cousins (boys) and my sis all wet the bed--- some of them were 14, and 11 before they outgrew it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• No, there's nothing to your theory. Small, underdeveloped bladder is most likely the cause.
    Anonymous

• My kids that are hard sleepers didn't stop wetting at night until 7 to 10 years of age. My 6 yos still wets at night and is a very hard sleeper. It doesn't pay to take him to the bathroom at night because he doesn't wake up-enough to go.. I will be taking him to the chiropractor soon. A friend of mine's Chiropractor told her that if a nerve is pinched -- your brain will not tell you to wake up.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 12:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Wetting the bed has nothing to do with bladder function. It is a sleep disorder.  During normal sleep the brain and bladder comunicate by alerting the brain it's full, this then tells the brain to wake up the body to go to the bathroom.  In kids with the sleep problem the communication from bladder to brain is interrupted because the child sleep too heavy and can not wake to go to the bathroom.  This can be caused from stress such as child abuse, bullying, etc.  But it is hardly ever an attention thing because the child is extremely embarrassed by it. 

http://www.stopwetting.com/

my daughter became a member of this company and was dry in 3 months and has yet to wet the bed since.  That was 5 years ago.  Maybe you can give her this site to look into for her son.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i had problems with this when i was a child, even up to preteen, and i can assure you it was not from abuse, stress or the like. i don't know what causes it exactly but i would definitely look into the information provided by luvmygrlz about sleep disorders because that fits my profile. the only thing i would say is never, ever ever treat a child who does this like they did it on purpose, or like they are a bad person for doing it (not that you do. just saying that attitude can be traumatic). with all their heart that child wants to be dry.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 8:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009