Did your mom/mil ever criticize baby?

So my MIL thinks my baby is difficult. It's true, she is a fussy baby, but still just a baby nonetheless. She loves her and likes seeing her, but is always commenting on how fussy she is, etc. She's only 4 mos. old! She was a little colicky and what my doctor calls a 'high maintenance baby.' My MIL made a comment the other day that she is 'a beautiful baby' but needs a better personality! I know my baby is tough, but hey, she's not just a little doll we can cart around who will do whatever we want! She's a living being with her own will! My MIL claims that all her babies were nice and calm. I doubt she remembers what they were really like-- that was nearly 30 years ago!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• all babies are diff. my mil was the same way always comparing. just ignore her. your baby is perfect just the way God made her.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• That would irritate me. My MIL watched my kiddo for most of the first two years of his life, so naturally he had some bad days when he was with her and she would tell me when I came to pick him up, but I think that's a lot different from what you're describing. I have no idea what kind of advice to give you. I have bad hormones right now, I think I would knock someones teeth in if they chose right now to insult my kid!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Tell her to shove it and what are you going to do? SHes your kid and not hers!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• When my baby crabs (just crabs nothing is wrong with her) I tell her that I am sending her to live with the monkeys at the zoo. I call my daughter a very "in your face" baby. She is high maintence as well but perfect in our eyes. Maybe you could ask her what you should do "Send her off to live with another family till the fussiness stops?" See how she reacts to that one.
    Anonymous

• Tell to please stop saying negative things about your baby it hurts your feelings
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My MIL and other family did this and I asked them to STOP immediately as she was hurting both mine and baby's feelings and I didn't want to be around her like this. Neither did baby. God made them how they are and often a child like this is born into a family that needs to grow in a specific area. My DD is like yours and consider myself blessed to have such a high personality baby. Imagine what she will be like as an adult. Come join the raising your high need/spirited baby group
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• this is just like my mom!! We are living with my parents right now until DH goes into the ARmy in December. It has been VERY hard on me for different reasons. She makes comments about my baby who was VERY fussy until she turned 12 weeks. She cried alot and only wanted me and her daddy. My mom said she was "an odd one" and still comments that she "is too spoiled" because we spend all of our time with her. Also let me add, and this is the kicker....my mom is ANTI-breastfeeding so you can imagine how that is since I BF exclusively and my baby will not even take a bottle or pacifier or anything other than me. She puts me down and tells me I need to get a life. It is very hard dealing with all of it. Most days I want to run away. If it weren't for us going into the Army, I would feel hopeless here and I probably would have left by now.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2009