Really long drive with a baby.....

I'm driving across country tomorrow with my 6 month old daughter. I've got everything together and planned out (along with a big bag of toys for the road).

The van I am driving has a DVD player in it, and I want to bring some of her Baby Einstein DVD's to watch on the ride, but she's still rear-facing. Is it ok to turn her around so she can watch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A mirror really does work. 6 months is way too young for forward facing. But I drove a long distance with my first when he was 6 months, and he slept almost the whole time. The worst thing about it was that when we got there after driving 14 hours, he was well rested and wanted to be awake and play. And I was DEAD tired.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'd try to drive during her sleep times as much as possible. And no, I would not advise turning her forward. Besides being unsafe, it is also illegal. Look into one of the DVD players that you can strap onto the seat, if your RF seat faces a seat that has a back headrest, it will fit nicely there. Otherwise, it sounds like you have it under control. Good luck.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't. It's illegal in NY (where I live) to have a child younger than 1 and less than 20lbs. forward facing.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't. We went on a 6 hr. car drive with my 2 mos. old for my sis's wedding. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, she mostly just slept. She did get restless near the end, tho, as did I. It won't be that bad if you can stop periodically.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Our dvd player detaches. Sit in the back with her and show it on the headrest? good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I would say it kind of depends on her weight. Even if she is 20lbs it still isn't very safe
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• NO NO NO you can not forward face her, all it would take is a tiny accident and she would die, internal decapitation is NO joke. Besides that its illegal. If the DVD can not be put in the back, put a mirror on her headrest and she can see it just fine, its how my RFing 27 month old watches DVDs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• lynnard: I can't sit in the back with her, I'll be driving. It's just me and my daughter, no one else.

OwensMama824: She is only 17.6 lbs...
    Anonymous

• You can rig up the dvd player to be in the back. No, don't turn her around. I just went to Philadelphia from NC, and it was and 8 hour drive. I left at 3:30 am. I get up at 5, so it wasn't that big of a deal. We were halfway there before the kids woke up, had a leisurely breakfast, drove 2 more hours, took a break, 2 more hours and were there

Do you mean the player is built into the car? Then you're out of luck. Maybe some music. Or borrow one that you can hang in the back.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2009