maybe I'll get my question answered here!

my son has alittle autism but its not enough to say its really serious. He unserstands and picks up everything he learns in school. Thde only problem is that there are times when noone can read his writing. And when he gets really angry he can't be understood. otherwise when he's calm ,we all understand him real well.The reason i'mwriting is because he is going to a summer program this summer. He likes the teachers and what he's learning. But he 's really uncomfortable with the students in his classroom. I think the students he's with have it real bad. Because he' saids thet're strange and weird. I tried to explain to him why. But he still wants out of that class. In school he's use to going to normal classes with a teachers helper
but the teacher helper is for everyone who needs help with something. So my question is is it ok for me to ask his teacher if she could please move him to a classroom where the kids with autism are

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you should talk to the teacher and find out what your options are. If he's not comfortable he won't learn as much as he could....and there's always the risk of picking up bad habbits.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• more on the mild side.
    Anonymous

• you need to reopen his IEP and look at all the options. I dont know what state you live in, but you should be getting services for his skills that are approrpriate, If he is doing well with other skills, there is no reason why he shouldnt be mainstreamed for that. Did you set a goal for his writing on his IEP? This needs addressed appropriately. If you are hitting a brick wall with the school on this issue, go onto your state's education or special education website and find out your rights and also you could get a number for a free advocate. I hope it works out for you, it must be frustrating when you see a need, but he is uncomfortable.

Anonymous

• I didn't have any trouble getting my son into another class more suited for him. Thank you both so much for ypur input.
    Anonymous