Do you prepare seperate meals for your kids?>

Do you make your kids eat what you eat or do you make them something different than yourself most of the time?

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 11:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• The only time I made my kids separate food was when they were eating baby food. If they don't like what we fix then they don't eat. We don't purposely make food we know they won't eat though. Both my kids like broccoli and cauliflower so those are the main veggies we eat. I like green beans too so sometimes I'll make both and I keep having them try it and maybe one day they will like it.

sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• my kids arent picky so i dont have too.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 11:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• no, i will substitute things in.. like i make them green beans even though SO and i dont eat the,.. but never make seperate meals... if you dont like it tough atleast try it i dont make meals i know they dont like.. my SD switches her mind day to day though< shes 10> so on friday she hates shicken nuggets but by sunday she is asking for them, things like that.. i DONT deal with
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am not a short order chef. My daughter eats what we eat.

HOWEVER - I know she is picky. VERY picky. So I try to have one thing at each meal that she will eat. I move through the food groups over the course of a week.

Do I force her to eat anything? No. My job is to buy the food, prepare the food, present the food at set times. Her job is to decide what and how much of that to eat. If that means she turns her nose up at her favorite foods and goes to bed with no dinner... that's her choice. And yes, she's done that... her choice, not punishment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Nope. I make dinner and that's what we eat. However, I plan my meals and they're usually kid-friendly since I have 2 toddlers and I need meals that are yummy, nutritious, and fast. They're not picky, though! They prefer things that are flavorful (we eat a lot of tacos and Italian food, lol).
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My kids eat what we eat, I don't like a lot of vegetables but I introduced my kids to every vegetable imaginable when they were little and now they eat everything.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Very rarely. Usually if it something different than its lunch time. I make DS eggs for breakfast and on weekends DH eats eggs with him. I will also eat eggs on the days that I make them. Sometimes we do fruit and cereal. Dinner he gets what I make (although when it comes to "meat" we only give him chicken and fish) he has never turned anything down that I have put infront of him.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 5:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• One family. Once meal. Eat or don't eat.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Nope. Like someone else said, I'm not the short order cook. Everyone eats what I make or they go without. I do try to take everyone's tastes into consideration and have something everyone likes on the table. Like if we're having a vegetable I know one of the kids refuses to eat (they still have to try it) I'll make one I know they like (this is mostly for my oldest, the other kids will eat anything).
    They still have to try everything I make no matter how much they scream they don't like it. The other day was proof of why that's important. I made pork roast. The last dozen times I've made this roast my oldest screamed she hated it, refused to try it and went to bed hungry. The other day she ate it all and said it was the best meat she had ever had and confessed she had never really tried it all the other times. Kids tastes change constantly.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get (yourself) toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple

Answer by rkoloms at 12:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2009