For those familiar with foster care, what does tpc stand for as opposed to tpr?

My parents are fostering some kids and the social worker said they were pursuing tpc with the birth mother. Does anyone know what this means?

aussiegirl3

Asked by aussiegirl3 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Adoption

• I know that TPR is trmination of parental rights. Maybe it is termination of parental contact/custody.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing. I'm very familiar with the foster care system and I've never heard the term TPC so I wonder if its termination of parental contact meaning an end to visitation.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I haven't heard of TPC, but you can ask your child's caseworker what it means, and anything that has to do with the direction of how the case is going, you are allowed to know. Just ask some questions, and then let us know what it was.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think it is terminating parental custody. you can terminate custody without terminating rights.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• So then that just means they're in foster care basically. Or does it mean she can't get custody back? I can't ask the worker because they are in my parents' care. What does it mean if she loses custody but not rights?
    aussiegirl3

Answer by aussiegirl3 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I am going to say TPC means termination of custody
    Anonymous

• TPC=termination of parental custody. TPR=termination of parental rights. TPC means her parental rights are most likely still in place. the parent or parents will sign a plan to try to get custody back. the parents will most likely have visits approved by the court as a way of reunification.
    Anonymous

• i forgot to add. ....if they follow the plan and everything goes well, the biological parents will probably be reunified with the child/children/ Since reunification is the goal of the state, there is a good chance of this. Of course, this depends on what the bio parents did and if they stick to the plan if the court approves one.
    Anonymous

• If they TPC and not TPR, then even though your parents have custody, the bio parents will still have say so (rights) on medical & educational decisions, I believe. Also, your parents would need consent from bio parents on doctor visits, school plans,etc. & when the bio parent is MIA, that could be a big problem. Might want to have them check on this.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Temporary Physical Custody = TPC. The plan is reunification so the parents are making progress and they are going to most likely do a trial discharge which will mean the county will still have custody but the parents will have physical custody until the next hearing at which time the county will terminate THEIR OWN custody of the children and give it back to the parents.

http://deltabravo.net/custody/typesofcustody.php

Hopefully the mother is going to continue to make progress and is on her way to regaining custody of her children and will be free and clear of the county eventually.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009