How much should i pay my babysitter?

It will be for only two days a week 9 hours each time. I only make 8.25 and hour. What should I pay her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on where you live. What's the going rate? How old is she? What kind of experience does she have? How many children do you have that she'll be watching? Do you require anything of her other than just watching the kids (heavy cooking, heavy cleaning, laundry, etc) and basic things (preparing lunch, cleaning up spills/messes, diaper changes) that come with that job?

My girls have a babysitter one day a week for 5 hours. I pay her $8/hr. I have 2 girls (2 1/2 and 1) and for about half that time, they're asleep for their nap. She charges $7.50/hr for one kid or $8/hr for two. If I require anything above and beyond, or if she does something above and beyond (like if she does the dishes, etc), then I throw in a little extra. She's 17, so $8 tax free an hour is pretty good. We're in Metro-Detroit.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Im not sure what the going rate is, but I would look around. Stay at home moms would obviously be cheaper. My mom watches kids at home as her job and she charges $3-$4 an hour. But like the above poster said, it depends on the age of your child, how many kids and who the baby sitter is. So if she charged between 3 and 4 dollars, that would be between 50 and 75 dollars a week. If it were $8 it would be 125-150 a week. I would definatley weigh your options and try to find one that is the right price and works well for you.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• by the time you pay taxes, you are probably only getting $6 an hour. can you afford this job?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009