How to be a good mommy, or better

My DD is happy, healthy, loved, on a good schedule, fed at set times daily, always goes to the doctor for her visits but i dont feel like a good mom. She is 13 months old, her mind is going a million miles a minute. I try to sit with her and teach her things but shes too busy, from one thing to the next I cant get her attention. Maybe I am just expecting too much, what can I teach her at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach her the world around her! When your out let her touch / smell anything that she can -- like trees, leafs (fresh green, crunchy brown) are silly to you but are experiences to her. Just going on a walk to feel the breeze. standing in the rain (on a nice rainy day).. Let her explore her food. Let her touch it, taste it (duh), incourage her to smell it & explain it (red apple, green grapes)...safe cups in the bath tub..pudding on a clean surface (diaper only, bathtime after! lol)
    Read. Sing. Talk. Talk. Talk!!! Explain everything! When giving a bath -now we are washing your tummy. your toes.. when putting on clothes,
    Keep doing what your doing-- showing her love! That is what is so very important at this age! Kids thrive when they feel loved & secure in their world. They will explore when they feel safe & their lil' brains can expand!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Alot. You have to just let her play. My daughter is 18 months and is extremely advance and believe me I say she doesnt sit still. She has learned her body parts by me singing head, shoulders, knees and toes to her and pointing. She can count to 8, which I think she learned at daycare. She sings just about every nursery rhyme and song, thanks to toddler tunes. And she learns alot from daycare. I let her look through stuff, play with stuff and just point stuff out to her. You are definitely expecting too much from a 13 month old. Right now just let her play and see what she already knows. You would be surprised at how much she really already understands.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• 13 months, are you kidding me.slow down, let her learn at her own pace.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 11:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• But I want to feel like she is learning things, something atleast. What CAN I teach her at this age
    Anonymous

• I sang alot to my son made my own songs up the ABc's just naming things around the house you can't sit down & really teach them their attention span is all over the place at your daughters age just have fun with her she's learning while she plays with you
    NicksMom11385

Answer by NicksMom11385 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Your child is learning things every second of every day. Pretty much every 13 month old is like a speeding bullet and has the attention span of like 2 seconds.

It's when they get to be 18 months - 2 years when the real type of learning like you are talking about begins.

I mean, try to show flashcard or something to a 13 month old, and they'll just take them and throw 'em around or ignore them. Do it with an 18 mo - 2 yo and they'll actually pay attention (sometimes, lol).

You are definitely expecting too much, and sound like you are doing just fine in the parenting department. Enjoy watching her play and let HER show YOU what she wants to play.

Even if it's blocks for 2 minutes, run for 3 minutes, color for 3 seconds, read a book for 1 minute, etc. Get the pattern? :) Totally normal.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Thanks Arkaidy, Im new at this and dont know at what pace she should be learning...
    Anonymous

• Really I think they learn the best from normal conversation. I've never done baby talk because I didn't want DS to think that wad how things were pronounced. Of course we do songs and dances and for this past Christmas (he was 20mo then) we got flascards for numbers, abc's, words, etc. We also turn pretty much everything into a game, for example bath time we counted how many toys he had in the tub, did body parts while washing, and he learned to count to 10 by 'waiting to rinse' lol. But really just explaining in detail everything and then when your DD starts talking telling her to repeat you. Just some ideas since it seems you are already a good mom for wanting her to learn as much as possible :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• She's learning exactly what she is supposed to be learning. Her attention span is age appropriate, your expectations of little lessons is not. You are a good mom for trying though. Just scale back. Help her build a tower and knock it down - instant physics lesson. Let her play with a lump of whipped cream - so many lessons in one fun, tasty, messy event. Give her a cup to play with in the bathtub - lots of science and math lessons there.

Remember, there is much, much more to life than ABC's and 123's. Right now, she is learning how the world works. That's what she needs to learn right now. Talk about colors when you describe things (Look at the pretty yellow flower!), count steps and crackers, read to her. All of that help. But don't let her neglect her play - kids who play learn far faster than kids who don't. So let her play and pat yourself on the back for giving her such a huge advantage.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When you do go back to trying to teach academic things, keep it fun. Workbooks and flashcards are not fun and are not age appropriate.

Make up silly games... who can spot the most letter A's in the story? Let's wear blue today! Help mommy sort the blocks by color. Anything and everything you can think of. Stupid and silly is great.

Remember - kids who are having fun while learning learn faster. Workbooks and flashcards are not fun. They are a great way to learn necessary stuff quickly for the test this Friday but she doesn't have a short deadline. She has years to learn these things. Make it fun. Build a lifetime love of learning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2009