Baby sitting~

Would you or do you pay your parents or in laws to baby sit your baby?

I'm currently on unemployment and only 3 months pregnant(also a soon to be ft student) and my mother at first was more than happy to say she'll babysit when needed but now is asking me to go to welfare(which I dread doing, eww) to receive child care. I really dont appreciate the fact that my baby's own grandmother is asking for pay but is this the right thing to do? Should I ask for government assistance just to pay my own mother to watch her grandchild? I personally think its disgusting, but I'm starting school ft in the spring. Baby is due January and the most I would be able to get is a part time during school. Right now my bf helps me out financially but his bills are rediculous... so confused.
Any advice is welcome, just no nasty comments by anonymous people!!! If you have something rude to say at least have the courage to show your name!

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 11:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would totally get the child care assistance. I don't know about you but the only welfare I get right now is insurance for the baby. It wouldn't make me feel bad. Anyways my sister pays me to watch her kids. Only because she doesn't like my mom or her husbands mom and can't afford daycare, I'm the only person she trusts with her kids, and I feel the same about her with mine. If your situation requires you to get the help then do it for the good of your family.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i have a friend that pays her grandma. mainly because that way her grandma has some income because she doesnt have the oppurtunity to go now. also it covers food and whatever else the kids might need and then you dont have to worry about supplying that stuff. jsut sit and talk with your mom about that. im sure she still loves the idea of watching the baby but is thinkin about how to be able too financially as well. dont feel bad about accepting help if you need it good for you for still pursueing schooling even while pregnant! thats what the help is there for, for people that dont abuse it. i wouldnt consider paying your mom abuse of it
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• lIf your mom is babysiting your child then she can't be working. Why should she be paid...its work watching kids. If public assistance can be obtained to help your children while you strive to beter yourself take it. Just think of this way, with a higher income you will be contributing more in taxes in the future...thus repaying what help you take now.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Reply to Fuznet: My mother receives ssi medical reasons, so it isnt as if she would be staying home just to watch her grandchild.

I just feel bad because I dont think this is a situation in which I should have to take money from the government. Im kind of sensitive about the economy after losing my job and I feel like doing this would contribute to the problems we are facing right now.
    I appreciate the answers and I feel a little better knowing my mother isnt the only person who asks for money to care for family lol... Im just new to this since this is my first and I dont know whats right or wrong, I guess my maternal instincts are starting to kick in and are making me a little too defensive :(
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I pay my mom $50 a week, but she keeps telling me she doesn't want to take my money, lol. She offers for free, but I pay her anyway because she's there when I need her night or day any time of the week. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009