religious rules

some of the religious rules im seeing lately...i find to be so absurd and if it float syour boat ..great..but i think they are just controlling, not needed and i do not believe if their is a god...that he cares about this.
one..masturbation, two living together before marriage, three sex when not married, having a kid out of wedlock.....sure they might not always be the smartest things to do....and i understand their are situations where some fo them mess up families ie masturbation if your hubby is addicted or kids out of wedlock if you dont have any money. but sinful??? no....i just do not think so....i cant....everyone believes what they want...and i can not look ta those as sinful things. just human nature, sinful and immature are two very different things...

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly think that nobody will judge me but God. I do highly believe that people who judge others like that, God will look down on that greatly. I "When you point a finger you have three more pointing back at you."
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Most "rules" like that have Biblical support, that's why they are followed and considered to be sinful or highly discouraged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i am with you on this. i think it's reprehensible to have kids out of wedlock, but i don't think anyone will "burn in hell" for it...organized religion is corrupt and it's followers are all tools...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• "i am with you on this. i think it's reprehensible to have kids out of wedlock, but i don't think anyone will "burn in hell" for it...organized religion is corrupt and it's followers are all tools..."

I'm one of those followers, but I'm not a "tool", I'm an "instrument of God." :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Why should having kids out of wedlock be "reprehensible". I don't believe in marriage and i am having a baby with out my ex-s help (other than the sperm LOL)

And doesn't your religion state judge not lest you be judged?
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I personally do not view sin as a "rediculous rule that we follow for no reason other than God says so." I view it as God's term for morality. Morality makes sense and if we view sin in terms of morality, it makes sense too. From comparing sins in the Bible together, most of them have a common theme: Actions that are...harmful to self, (and/or) harmful to others, and have natural consequences already set in order. Some sins involve all 3 of these themes or a combination of them and most often will invoke a response from God-given conscience. I therefore don't believe sins are "silly rules just because" but yet guidelines for morality based on what's best for us and therefore "good." It's because of this that I don't automatically go X=SIN but rather look at a situation or an individual on a case-by-case basis, as I believe God does, understanding entirely that it is God that judges the heart, not me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I also don't believe in different levels of sin but that every sin is unacceptable to a Holy God. He sees all of us through the blood of his son which is how we obtain pardon from our sins.

I do agree that it seems that churches setting rules on what is and isn't sin (and in addition, what you must do to make up for it) seems controlling. A person's sin and how it impacts their relationship with God is between them and God (save for crimes which society must deal with in addition). That doesn't mean that a lot of churches don't make good choices as to what they feel is sin but in some cases, I think it goes overboard.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Sex outside of marriage...you see no problem with this? So my husband should be allowed to go do whatever he wants with whomever he wants anytime? Or me for that matter. You don't see the potential for conflict? Besides the health concerns, AID's STD's, unplanned pregnancies, come on. The whole purpose for marriage is a stable home life. What is to bind a person to their s/o without marriage? No marriages in this country do not guarentee stability but you don't give up on them completely.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The sex outside of marriage rule is expressly mentioned in the Bible. The word used is fornication. We won't necessarily burn in hell for any particular sin, as the Bible teaches that forgiveness is available through Christ.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Moki, I am not sure there is an understanding here. These are guidelines to a healthy relationship with God. You are a mom and you have specific guidelines for your children, correct? Sometimes children do not like the guidelines and think they are just a bunch of rules to keep them from doing what they like to do but what they do not understand is that it is to protect them from consequences that would result in breaking those guidelines. It is out of love that a parent does this for their child. God is like a Father and he does this to protect us, His children whom He loves. You would tell a 4 year old not to cross the street without mommy or daddy and you tell them this because you want to protect them from the consequences of what would happen if they crossed the street without mom or dad with them. You do this because you love your child so much. God is the same way. He isnt being mean at all, it is LOVE ....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2009