Why do my dogs love to eat cat food and cat shit!!!?

Its so gross and annoying! Why do dogs like that?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pets

• LOL! Vets don't really know why dogs do that. The only thing that makes sense to me is that a female dog will eat her puppies poop as a maternal instinct to keep the area around their puppies clean. Dogs also eat poop when they are hungry and aren't getting enough vitamins from their dog food. They can also do it as a territorial thing. It's believed they may eat another animals poop to "remove" the other animals presence. Dogs try to be alpha-dog and they have many ways of doing it. It is not good for them to eat the cat poop. I would suggest finding a way to keep the liter box in a place where the dogs cannot get to it. The liter is not good for them to digest.
    It isn't good for them to eat the cat food either. Cats are more prone to urinary tract infections so their food contains more ingredients to keep them from getting a UTI. I'm almost sure that too much of those ingredients can harm the dog. CONT
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• omg urs to my dog does except he dnt eat cat food but my catseat the dog food an my dog eats cat poop it drives me nuts but idk y
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I was told its because the cat food is sweet and because the cats eat it so is their poop, and I guess the dogs like it haha. I dont know if there is any truth in this but its what I heard
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My grandma gives her dogs cat food as a treat, but not much at all and not all the time. So, I would also suggest keeping the cat food away from the dogs .. if possible. I know sometimes it's difficult.
    But overall, there has not been much research done on why dogs do those things. Could be any number of things.
    Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2009