Battle of the 3 yr old and new baby....??

Okay so here we go....
I have a 2 week old baby and a 3 year old. Now my 3 yr old LOVES her baby sis. Is very sweet and caring when it comes to her sis. However she has been acting out of sorts. I realize she is only 3 and at age 3 kids are a bit all over the place so to say, but she has been doing things she has never done before. Screaming in public for reason witch i do not know because I cant calm her down enough to understand her. Telling me no ALL THE TIME, and not using the potty when I ask if she needs to go. Now if I dont ask, she wont go either. Now she was not fully potty trained before sis came, but has lost interest in it when she is home with me and DH. When she is with grandma though, she has no problems with the potty or behavier. Im losing my mind and pulling my hair out. No joke! Im in tears most of the day over it. I just dont know what to say when she wont potty and what to do when she acts out. HELP!!

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 12:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's just regression. Don't worry, it will pass. Give her a little more time. Reassure her that you are there for her, spend time with her everyday, let her "help" with the baby. Give her things to do that make her feel wanted and needed.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:55 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It's regression and to be expected. Don't let her get away with any more bad behavior than you did before. Discipline her the same...continue potty training her the same.

If she wasn't allowed to do it before, don't let her do it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Try spending some 1 on 1 time with her, when you or dh go to the store take her with you leave baby with whoever stays home. If you can't do that then let her "help" when you make dinner or something. Just make sure you spend some time with her and let her know she is still important, I have a 3 year old and a new baby, this is normal but you can change it pretty quick if you try. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Good luck! We went through the same thing with my oldest. She had been potty trained for a year and went back to wearing diapers for about a month when my youngest was born. She will "get over it" but it might take a little while. I got my daughter a new paint set and every day we sat down and painted together. I explained that his was her special paint set and that she did not have to let her brother use it, it belonged to her. She liked the ownership and like our special time together. If my little started to cry while we were playing, I just let him cry - I think she liked that too!!!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 12:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009