In laws that dont like you???

Im talking about any...SIL, BIL, MIL, FIL and any other

why??? what do you do to try and ease tension, or do you do anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't agree with gail36 - honestly, you ARE marrying your DH's family when you marry him. Its unfortunate, but true. You have to deal with these people for the rest of your life. There isn't an "escape clause" written in other than divorce. But if you love your fiance, you have to decide that it is worth dealing with people you don't like. Unless your DH has some sort of strange break off with them, they are attached to you, related to any children you have together, and part of your extended family forever. Its up to you whether its worth it to you or not.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• LOL when DH told his Mom he was going to propose to me she said "Are you sure?" not like a normal mother who would say "oh thats great im so happy for you" no she was rude and dumb about it. Then at my wedding my SIL was talking to my Mom and said "Yeah Im worried about my brother getting married" haha My Mom was like "WTF!?" it seemed to us that they were insinuating I wasnt good enough or something. mind you they are dirt poor people(and filthy to boot) my family is educated middle class and we know how to clean. I took my DH out of that mess and gave him a beautiful home a yard a dog... MONEY! and lots of love, and his family had the nerve to say those things. Also I want to add that his Mom left him with her EX-BF of all people and moved away to another state for another man. While she knew he was beating my DH! what a bitch... I think she is just jealous of me because he doesnt like her for whats shes done to him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My question is in this ballpark. You can view my questions to see if any of the answers I got can help you. I hate my MIL to be. A good response was to be nice to her and prove her wrong about me. That's going to be nearly impossible because I really don't like her but it is a good answer.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When my DH proposed to me, his mom cried. Not happy tears. When he told his dad that I was pregnant, FIL said, "Are you sure its yours?"... His mom has constantly criticized the way I act to my DH, saying that I "control him" - when in reality its HER that is needy and controlling. FIL never even calls DH anymore, since we got married 2 1/2 years ago. The way I deal with it is just smiling and proving to them that I am giving DH everything that THEY couldn't - a loving home, stability, and happiness. They never gave him those things. So he and I (we are in cahoots in the whole proving-them-wrong thing) constantly banter in front of them about how happy we are and all the things we are doing that his parents never did and things we do for our son that they never could do for him, etc... They may not like me, but at least they know that their son is better off with me than he ever was with them. That's all that matter
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You know what why worry about the inlaws your not marryng them your marrying the son weather they like you or not dosen't mean they will start liking you now so have fun on your wedding day and have fun planning it, when it all come down to love is you and him not you and them when you both say i do to hell with the inlaws at d end they will either exept you or don't, but why worry bout it, once the man you marrying except you for who you are that all that matter at d end of the day. GOOD LUCK.
    gail36

Answer by gail36 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When I first married my DH my SIL hated me dearly.HAHAHAHa she even stayed in contact with my DH ex! She did get over it and now I love her to death.
    Beccah2

Answer by Beccah2 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i cant stand my in laws anymore they treat me, my dd,and my dh like shit my sd was down for mi and everyone in his family knew she was comeing but no one bothered to call us and let us know she was here we have seen or heard form her since last fall b/c her bio mom is a bitch and wont let her call us so we completely missed her the part that pisses me off and im livid beyoung belief here is i talked to my bil just a week befor she came down and he didnt mention it to me b/c im only her step mom i didnt need to know grrr and they have the balls to tell me and dh we shouldnt be trying for a baby b/c he cant take care of the ones he has the only one he doesnt see is sd for oviouse reasons i HATE my in laws and o my sil is preg and we been ttc for a year now and they made sure to point that out to us...livid
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My father-in-law disliked me to the point of actually trying to hook my dh up with other women! I always tried to be nice to him and NEVER interfered with my dh's relationship with his father. I finally told my fil that even if my dh and I get divorced, I am the mother of his grandchildren, so I will be in his life forever. That was on New Years Eve, 2006 and he is completely changed towards me. He is nice to me now and doesn't try to break dh and I up anymore.

So my advise to you is to try to be nice to them, they don't have to be your besties, but don't let them know they bother you. Good Luck : )
    bccdmmom

Answer by bccdmmom at 1:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• she told us we had to leave because his ex was going over. (we were there for no more than 30 minutes. so now my son is almost five months and they have not seen my kid at all. the thing is they live 2 block away from my house. i really dont care they have much love on my side of the family. his family only brings problems between us.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 2:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my SIL in a raging drunk
    i mean drinks until she passes out,
    and sometimes that can take more than 24 hours!
    And then she can "sleep" for a day
    It has caused real major problems
    and now I just refuse to go to family functions when she is there
    even when the family says that she is not drinking (yeah maybe at that minute)
    a few times she has shown up when I was not expecting her
    and there is always a drama or worse
    Hate her when she is drunk
    and the few times I have been around her and she was not drinking,
    she is such a cool person
    I miss the woman she could be
    it is like a death of a person when she drinks

and she has a 15 year old that she is "raising" by herself

very sad
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2009