Other than English do you want your kid to learn other languages?

Why or why not?

Salma25

Asked by Salma25 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes hawaiian because we are hawaiian and spanish cuz her dad is spanish
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i meant to say speaks spanish
    kuuipo317

• I want to teach my son sign language, BUT, I have friends who have done so and their kids DO NOT AND WILL NOT TALK! They know how and they do sometimes but otherwise, in order to communicate with their children, they must use their hands! Im terrified of that.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think English is fine for my child, but it would be cool to have him learn another language. Though I wouldnt force it upon him. I've seen those Muzzie commercials and thought they were a really good idea
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I want my children to learn spanish. Their dad was mexican-american, so for that reason, I feel they should. Also, we live in California, so it will definitely benefit them later in life when they enter the workforce. I'm in the middle of learning spanish myself, and hope to be able to share some of what I learn with them as I go through my courses.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I want my child to learn french or german. Im both from my moms side but thats not why. French, German, and English always trade off as the business languages of the world. I would ay spanish but Im not trying to make it easier for people who live near me and dont bother to learn the english because their either lazy or dont care. French or german can set my baby up for a great international business career in anything. or they can just know it and travelm for fun, whatever.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have always wanted my son to learn spanish, he spends so much time with my mom from birth to now (he is 10) and she only speaks spanish. Funny thing is, he has listened to hours and hours of my conversations with my mom in the car that one day I was talking for so long and he repeated everything I said back to me. He understands spanish very well and now he tries to speak it but he can't roll his R's. When he wans to say Perro (dog) he says Pedo (fart)! lol I have faith he will learn.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My son knows some sign language, and talks just fine... It is proven in the slp world if a child has language from a young age, they will use that language... Meaning, if your child has the ability to speak and can do so well, they will regardless of whatever other language you teach them. If from birth you teach spanish and english, the child will use them interchangeably providing there is no language delay. The same goes with sign. If you teach english and sign to a baby the child will use both interchangeably when they get older, not because they can't speak but because they know both languages equally. I would love for my son to know sign and spanish, because his dad speaks spanish, and because sign is a valuable tool to have in my profession, as well as with infants before they are capable of spoken language. Plus, in the business world if you know spanish and sign it often equals more money b/c your considered diverse.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Afrikaans.Thats all my family in South Africa can speak. It's funny DH looks at me crazy whenever I call them.

pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd is 20 mos old and we are doing sign language. She talks just fine as well, and when we do a new sign to a word she can't pronounce she says it over and over while she signs! Her daddy is deployed but when he comes home our family will be taking up Czech because his son speaks Czech and lives part time in the Czech Republic! Also, I think it is important to understand Spanish so we will be working on Spanish as a family as well! And my SO's son spoke fluent Engligh, Czech, and Spanish by 4 yrs of age (he is now 6).
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2009