should the tasks associated with children be split 50/50 between the mother and father?

should daddy control 50% of the diaper changes, feedings, baths, laundry, playtime, supervision, etc.? or have 50% of the tasks assigned to him? what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the workload outside of the home. I expect my DH to be involved with his children most certainly. But if he's had a hard day where he just worked 12 hours straight I don't expect him to come home and start changing diapers and giving them their tubbies. I just expect him to take the time to sit with them and play and enjoy them. If he's had an easy day or it's the weekend I expect him to do 25%-50% of the caretaking responsibilities, although I always tend to do a little more just because I'm their mother and they "need" me more often anyway. As always if he's playing with them and making them happy then I feel like he's done enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well, I can say this...it would be nice if my husband had ever did ONE thing....as opposed to watching his daughter for a couple of hours at most every three to four weeks. I think about six months went by, if not more, where he didn't change ANY diapers EVER. Even when I got back from the hospital after having had an emergency C-Section....I still did everything, and got yelled at if the dishes weren't done. So in answer to your question, even if it isn't exactly fifty/fifty....I think both parents should share the responsibilities in some form.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i think so my hubby is so good and we take turns changing his but he eats with us and he does as much as i do but iam pregnant now and he takes him more so now he does way more and i love it he is such a good guy and if he ever doubts what he does i tell him that he is as much his son as he is mine.
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 12:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• First, the tasks should not be "assigned" to anyone. Only bosses and other supervisors "assign" tasks. If he is an assistant, a simple helper, then go ahead and assign him the tasks you need help with.

As to how evenly the reponsibility for day-to-day tasks should be... that's up to the family. I'm a SAHM. I am the primary care-giver. I changed the bulk of the diapers, took care of illnesses, overnight feedings, potty training, teach and watch. He takes over from time to time so I can have some "me" time. For families where both parents work, I think all household responsiblities should be fairly evenly split - house, kids, errands, cooking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• In a perfect world? yes it should be 50/50 however most men have kids and figure the woman is there to take care of the baby...some guys, like my husband, have a trophy kid...He can say he has a son...but he can never say he pulls his end to care for him....he feels giving me money is enough!!
    Our son is almost 5 and he has yet to do shit in helping me with the job of keeping our son clean and well fed and my husband has yet to help our son brush his teeth.....the man is crap yet I can't leave him because for some odd reason the boy loves his daddy to know end!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think that depends on the family itself. Im a SAHM so i feel like its my job to care for the children the majority of the time. my husband works any where between 12 to 16 hours a day. I just want him to come home and enjoy the kids play and have a good time i cant expect him to get up in the middle of the night to feed baby when he has to work at 3am.
    now if both parents work then yes it should be half and half.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009