• In the Spotlight:

Length and infant seats

My son is almost 7 months old and is very quickly outgrowing the length for his infant. He is 26 inches and his carseat only goes to 29. Do I have to get a convertible seat or just leave him in it? I was hoping to wait on a new seat till we got a car (our car was totaled back in March and we do not have a car that I can drive). But if it is unsafe for him to ride in his seat I will buy a new one.

Before someone says it, I am going to continue to rear face till he is a year old. In my state you can forward face at one year, there is not weight requirement and all of my older kids were 20 plus pounds at a year.

Thanks.

palexander

Asked by palexander at 1:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say get the convertable. It's unsafe (i believe) to keep them in an infant seat once they've hit the max length.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I think I read that somewhere to but not sure.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Get the convertible it can still go rear facing my daughter is 6 and a half months and we are going to upgrade her soon she is just getting too darn big for the infant seat.

My son had one at 7 months and stayed rear facing until a year and so will my daughter and the next baby
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If he is 26 inches and the carseat goes to 29 inches he is fine lengthwise for now as long as he has at least an inch of the shell above his head. What is his weight though? At 7 months, he may be approaching the weight limit of his infant seat, so you would probably be better off with a convertible.

Also, keep in mind, even though the law may not specify they have to be 20lbs the carseat instructions do. If you flip them before they are 1 year AND 20 lbs it is in violation of the law by virtue of using the carseat improperly. Not to mention is unsafe.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You should only use the child's seat within the limits of the seat. So if it's a 22lb, 29" seat, get a convertible when he's 20lbs or 28". You should keep him rear-facing as long as the convertible seat allows (most have a 33-35lb rear-facing limit, a few others have 40lb limits now). It is 5x safer than forward-facing because their spines aren't formed well enough and if the crash's impact is hard enough, they could have internal decapitation. Also, the AAP recommends that you keep your child rear-facing to 2 years and 30lbs, because it is that much safer. And before another mom jumps in and tells you to forward-face if his feet touch the back of the vehicle's seat, keep in mind that most children find it comfortable to have their knees bent and that there aren't any reported cases of a child breaking their leg while rear-facing in a crash.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 5:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you arent worried about him outgrowing the seat weight wise just ignore the height limit. Seriously, as long as there is one INCH of shell over their head they are fine. They put limits on the seat because they are required to. If you are worried about it then call the manufacturer to double check.

*I will say it... the AAP is now reccomending RF to the minimum of Two years and the law may follow suit so the covertable may be a good Idea Just In Case...
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 7:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Height limits are flexible what matters is how he fits the seat, if theres an inch or more above his head to the edge of the shell he is perfect safe staying in the seat as long as his weight is under the limit. THAT being said I hope that seat was NOT in the car that was wrecked, if it was get rid of the seat NOW..you can not use a seat that was in an accident, even if the child was not in the seat, even if the seat looks ok, theres no way of knowing if theres an internal weakness you can not see, destroy the seat if it was in the accident.

IMO getting a convertible would be your best best..because even the FFIng carseats with harnesses generally go to 40lbs unless you plan to buy a seat with a higher limit and the heights of the 40lbs ones are the same as the convertible ones and the convertibles ones cost less.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• cont-
    Get a cosco scenera for $50 if money is tight, it RFs to 35lbs and 36 inches and FFs to 40lbs in the harness, this seat would last til about 4-5 years old for most kids and can RF to about age 2.5 for most kids...RFing to the MAX of the carseat is the safest. Remember your state law has a correct usage clause, meaning the seats have to be used correctly...there are NO seats that say to FF til 1 year AND 20lbs as a minimum.

If money isn't tight, go to toys r us and buy a Myride65, its an AWESOME seat it will Rf to 40lb...yeah 40lbs and then FF to 65lbs in the harness, it can last 6 years so your child will be almost 7 before outgrowing it, no more seats to buy except a $15 butt booster at that point...my 7 year old fits in one just fine!
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3532435

babiesrus and toysr us are the only stores that carry it instock if you don't wanna buy online...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Jmama- in my state as along as the baby is a year they ignore the weight limit. But the point of this wasn't when to turn. Based on my 3 older kids he will be 20 pounds at one. Actually he will probably be closer to 25 pounds.

My weights 16 pounds as of a month ago (almost a month). So he is probably 17 at least. I have been told by different people that if they outgrow length to upgrade. It won't matter if he is in an infant seat or convertible as long as he is RFing.

I have the Cosco scenera for my twins and love it. I understand that the experts say do not FF till they are 40 pounds or whatever. But personally as long as my children are in a properly installed carseat for their weight and length then they are safe.

My dd is 6 and no longer in a booster seat because the law says she doesn't have be, but in Texas she does. But I am not buying a seat for when we are in Texas.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Tabi_cat:

No the seat was not in the car. I have one that has the detachable base so he always goes into the house in his seat.

I am hoping ot pass his infant seat on the my niece but can't find an expiration date. All I found is the manufactors date and it was made in 7/2006. Someone told me one time they are good for 5 years. If that is so then it will expire in 7/2011.

Thanks so for all the responses. I think I will go ahead and get him a convertible one. I know he will out grow his within the next few months.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2009