Would you move to a smaller apartment with four kids if you were in love with it?

I am moving and I seen the apartment today and I fell in love as soon as i entered the door! It was sooo nice. I am a single mom with four kids and have lived in not so nice places and I am miserable here. I live in Boston and the apartments out here are not that great if your dont have alot of money. I was so happy and would be so proud to live in this new apartment but its tiny. I mean the kids will have their bedrooms of course. Its three bedrooms and thats all I need but should I look for a bigger place, or am I being crazy putting us into a smaller apartment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think quality means more than quantity. Especially if its hard to find a nice place to live for not a lot of money in your area, I think the kids would appreciate a nicer smaller home, than a bigger, not so great one. If you aren't cutting back TONS of space than I would say go for this apartment. But if it is ALOT smaller than what your family is used to, you might want to keep looking. The kids are gonna keep growing so space is going to be an issue at some point, but if you aren't looking at this apartment as permanent than I don't see a problem.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I actually want this place permanent for sure. Its so nice, I was so happy when I left there today but I feel like for once in my life I am being selfish =(....the kids will love it because of the huge back yard and frankly I really dont think they care about the size but I always wanted to give them a big house or apartment but I have been searching and this is my true dream place. I feel selfish
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Go for it! They'll have a backyard and you love the place.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I was a single mom with 3 boys. We almost always lived in small 2 bedroom apartments. It never bothered them. If you like the apartment then it's the one for you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would say weigh your options. If you love the apartment thats great, but will you still love it as much once you cram all your stuff into it? lol I would say figure out the size of the rooms, measure the large things you would be taking with you and see how it will all fit. If it doesnt fit like you want it once you have already rented, that might change your feeling about the apartment. Try to imagine what you can fit in the apartment and how much room youll have to move around. If you feel you really still love it and things will work out for the best, go for it.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I cant imagine an apartment NOT being small for 4 kids. I dont think that youre going to be able to find anything that big. If you love this apt, then go for it. A happy mom makes happy kids. It also makes you closer. We lived in a very small house when my kids were little. We outgrew it when we had our 3rd, but we were so happy there. We moved into a BIG house and it got so overwhelming because it was so hard to clean. I hope it goes well for you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• yes, because it would be less of a place that they could mess up and easier for you to clean...it is hard enough keeping up with 4 kids....I have this huge house right now and cannot for the life of me keep up with it and I only have 3
    runner31

Answer by runner31 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Doooo it!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well if you and the kids love the place-- why not take it?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• At first I was screaming NO! But after reading that it was a three bed, I was ok with it. If it makes you happy, do it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009