Dear Mr. President

Dear Mr. President:

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan: There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them 1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations: 1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed. 2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered- Auto Industry fixed. 3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed. It can't get any easier than that! If more money is needed, have all members of Congress and their constituents pay their taxes.

DO YOU THINK IT COULD WORK?!?! WHY/WHYNOT?

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• clappingI like the idea! I second it! My grandfather is approaching 60 and is still working 50 hr work weeks... he deserves to retire.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Oh man if only someone WOULD do that. I think it would be helpful, actually lol. It just sounds like something that the government would never do, so of course it's a good plan.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I truly think that would be helpful
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I didn't write this... maybe i should have specified that... but someone sent this to me and i was like "OMG".. it does sound awesome and could really work!! Just trying to get some ladies' inputs on it... :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I don't believe it will solve all are problem but it will get us on the right. I also believe they could stop out of country out sourcing instead pay our countries people to do the telemarketing jods from home. It saves the instore money they are trying to save and it put money back into our peoples pockets. Also instead of adding more debt to our countries list collect on some of the debt owed to us. Just a few extra thoughts.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• YES I AGREE HOT-MAMA86!!! Outsourcing is a big thing!! They need to bring American jobs home!!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• $40,000,000,000,000

No thanks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• spend another several million $$$$?? um, no. see, we want BO to stop spending...ya know?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well, Geithner and Obama would want to tax them 55+%. Barney Frank would want to take that money and give it to ACORN. Then the Japanese would cry that we are breaking "international" trade laws, and then they would stop buying American products, and it could get ugly.
    I think in theory it's an interesting approach. But reality... To many barriers and Democrats to overcome. :oP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well both of my parents are in their 50s and work-my moms a nurse and my dads a truck driver. If they were to retire, they would be divorced within a month.
    busybee911

Answer by busybee911 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009