Is it really that bad for me to eat lunch meat during pregnancy?

Why?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 2:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is how I think of it. The risk of getting listeria, even pregnant, is really low. The risk of me getting in a car wreck is much higher, yet no one tells me not to drive or ride in the car.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I did! I love lunch meat. I think it has something to do with bacteria, but im not sure.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Lunch meat in general isn't healthy because it carries the risk of listeria, which can be serious to both you and your baby.

This includes hot dogs, luncheon meats, or deli meats unless they are properly reheated to steaming( or 160 degrees F.) and soft cheeses such as feta, Brie, Camembert, blue-veined cheeses and Mexican style cheeses such as queso fresco, queso blanco and panela.

You can find more info about it here: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i ate it and my baby is perfectly healthy!!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well it's bad for everyone, but yes it's particularly bad for pregnant woman. 

If you heat it up before eating it you will probably eliminate or at least greatly reduce the listeria risk, but it's not going to get rid of the nitrates and all of the other gunk in there.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If properly stored the risk of listeria or any other bacteria is minimal. Should you eat it all the time probably not. The fresher the food the better but you don't have to be paranoid about lunch meat. Just store it and all your food properly.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2009