Need advice...Do you think taking basal temp is accurate? Please let me know what you think.

I have heard that if you take your basal temp & if it runs as a low grade temp for "x" amout of days in a row chances are you are pregnant. Is this method known to be accurate? I have just about every symptom of "being preggo" . But all my hpt's have come back negative. I have been taking my basal temp the past 4 days & it's been 101.2 every time. Now I know I've read that you should do this for such & such weeks...so I'm not saying my 4 days means I am pregnant. Just curious if there is any truth behind it. I got a short period last month that came a week early. Bleeding was lighter than normal but not so light to be spotting. It lasted 3-4 days. With the last couple days of light spotting. I just feel different. I never have these kinds of symptoms before I start. Boobs have been sore for over a week. Nausea & really tired. But all HPT's are neg. AF usually starts the 26th. So just waitin to see if AF happens

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• read the book taking charge of your fertility... its wonderful!!! I think you need to rely on all different things, not just temperature, to be able to accurately read things. I know that your basal temp is before and while you ovulate, and then it goes up after you ovulate until you get your period and then it goes back down to normal, but you have to look at the overall picture, and not just your temps.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• BBT never worked for me, and we charted for 6 months... I used cervical mucus to determine when I was ovulating, in addition to OPK's until I got the hang of the cervical mucus. I do agree with precious222-- get that book.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Charting BBT is somewhat subjective; you have to know your body's patterns. You have to take your temperature about the same time every morning, before you even get out of bed, and it generally goes up about half a degree starting the day after you ovulate and staying up until you start your period again (or until after you give birth, if you get pregnant), and you can tell you're pregnant if it stays up 3 days longer than normal with no period. Your temperature during the day doesn't change; my pre-ovulation temp is usually 96.5 or so, and my post-ovulation temp is around 97.2, but during the day my temperature is about 98.6 no matter where I am in my cycle. But 97.2 is still really low for many women. So unless you know your body's pattern and what your temp usually is before and after you ovulate, there's no point in starting to check now.

And with a 101.2 fever for 4 days, you might should see a doctor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When you took the HPT, did you use your midstream? With my 1st pregnancy, the test did not show positive until I was on day 31 and I used the midstream on my urine. My sister told me to do it and it work. I thought she was crazy.
    JenaElliott

Answer by JenaElliott at 12:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009