CALLING ALL CATHOLICS!!!!!!!

Ok so from what I understand cathlics believe that hell is burning right now and people go to heaven or hell when they die right now if this is wrong please correct me. So I have heard that catholics also believe that everyone eventually gets to come to heaven. That that good people go to heaven and the sinners go and burn in hell for like x amount of time and then when they repent or w/e they get to come to heaven. So I ask this, if this is what you catholics believe why the need for God to coem agian? What do you believe about the second coming?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My question is, If you go straight to Hell and Heaven then why the need for a Resurrection? Why take someone out of Hell and then put them back in? and if flesh can't inherit the Heavens 1Co 15:42-50.
    then how can a person go back to heaven in their physical body once they have been resurrected with it?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• OMG I dont know!Im not catholic but I never thought about it. I was just trying to answer your question but I cant. Im calling my pastor tomorrow lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• little fof....

some ppl who have a few indiscretions go to purgatory not hell..get cleansed...then heaven
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm not Catholic but the belief is, once you're in hell, you stay there. If you die in sin but believed, you are sent to purgatory for a certain amount of time to be cleansed because you are unable to go before God initially in your sinful state. During this time, people can make intercession to God for you so that you spend less time in purgatory and those who were freed earlier from purgatory due to the prayers of loved ones are said to come before God for you to plead your case for your needs in the future in gratitude.

I think I got that right.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Ummm....I'm Catholic and this is definitely not the belief held by most of the Catholics I know. First of all, no one KNOWS what will happen after we die. We do, however, believe in purgatory - a place of purgation, cleansing, where those obstacles which keep us from full Communion have a chance to be cleansed from ourselves before the final Judgment, whereupon we have hope to enter into the Presence of God. This is why we pray for those who have died - if they were Heaven, why would we need to pray for them, if they were in Hell, they would have no chance, so why would we pray for them. Hell is eternal, there is no recourse if you go there - once you're there, it's eternal damnation because you refused the Love of God - you said No to the Ultimate Truth. So - die, purgatory, Heaven or Hell - and since after death we're talking about God's time, not ours, no one knows how long anything will take.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well actually you are waaay off on this. There is purgatory for those who won't go to Hell but are not ready yet for Heaven. However, I am not at all good at explaining all of this so I will just hope that someone will come along and explain it well. There is one woman on CM that is just awesome at explaining the Catholic faith. I hope she sees this and will answer your question...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Sorry guys, there is no purgatory according to Pope Benedict.
    Anonymous

• "Sorry guys, there is no purgatory according to Pope Benedict."

What are you talking about? Do you have anything to back that statement up?
    Anonymous

You are mistaken...According to the Pope there is no Limbo which is NOT the same thing a purgatory. Purgatory is a cleansing process souls go through after death to ready them for heaven, Limbo was thought to be a place between Heaven and Hell that souls (like babies who died without being baptized) went to after death and stayed there.
    Anonymous

confused

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009