Pagan moms who have read or looked through Buckland's "Big Blue Book", have you ever....

Have you ever read something in that book and just been like, WTF? Or something similar? Maybe my brain is just a bit overloaded or something, but I was reading through a couple of lessons today and I had to put it down because I was getting confused lol. (Maybe I was just lacking caffeine too much to understand anything at that time.) Am I alone, or do you think he can be a bit rambly and/or confusing sometimes? Cunningham is much better with explanations and whatnot, IMO.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like I'm not absorbing this book. I'm still on chapter one. i've read it several times already and I thought it was just stress and being busy that makes me not "get" it. Hmmm.....
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Ah the blue book. Yea its was confusing to me too. I finally just studied on my own without the quizes and lessons. I learn a lot more from other Pagans IRL and on line anyway.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I didn't do the blue book. Just didn't like the feeling I got when I held it... I know what you are saying! I am dyslexic, so I get that way alot! In fact I'm reading one on Astrau right now, and my brain just feels like swiss while I'm reading, I have to read everything like 4 times before I understand half of it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Oh thank Goddess I'm not alone! I thought I was just stupid or something lol. I mean, some of it seems to be pretty straight forward, and I love the workbook style, but jeeze some of it is just insanely rambly and pointless.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• LMAO!! Been there - done that. I remember when I was trying to do my first "blue book" ritual . . . It was so confusing! I swear that man is one of the reasons why I am no longer a pagan, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Aww jenni i'm sorry (and still kinda laughing at your response lol). I can see how he would turn someone off Paganism lol. Personally, I like Scott Cunningham and some of what Silver Ravenwolf has out (I know, I know! she's not well liked, but she dumbs things down sometimes, like the Idiot's Guide).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• LOL- I STILL love Scott Cunningham, even though I'm not practicing anymore. He really was a gifted teacher of the Craft.

Silver used to crack me up. "dumb it down" really describes that well!! Of course, her focus is on the "teen witch" craze, so I think that's why she writes like that.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Bucklands is a very formal, traditional style. It appeals more to some, whereas others prefer the style of less traditional writers. However, that happens to me whatever I am reading if my mind is trying to be elsewhere (even if it is just "how to boil water").
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• How many Buckland Witches does it take to change a light bulb?

"Refer to Practical Light Bulb Changing by Raymond Buckland..."

Yeah, Cunningham is better for beginners...Buckland does tend to ramble. (And don't get me started on $ilver[dollar] Ravenwolf!)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I liked the blue book.. until I got to astrology.. lmao.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009