dicipline for a speech delayed toddler...

dont want to spank.!!!!!!!!!. he is two and is Speech Therapy... im letting him get awy with to much bc i feel bad he cant Talk... he can Sign a moderate amt... but at two he is bright.. but will scream, alot due to frustration with his lack of words.. is this just normal toddler... and speech frustration behavior... no words.but extremly cognitive dicpline approachs would be great.. he just turned two this month,, thank u

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That is not something you can correct with disipline....only probably make it worse!
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That's normal two-year-old behavior and will probably go well into 3's and 4's. Whatever you do don't disicipline him because of his lack of words...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would say try to be patient with him. Try to figure out if he is needing something or just throwing a fit about something. If he is just misbehaving because he is a 2 yr old and thats what they do lol then I would say get a time out chair. We are working on getting my DD to sit in it. I always heard 1 minute for every year. So if he threw a toy. I would sit him in the chair say time out 2 minutes, no throwing your toys. It seems to work pretty well. except for the times she laughs at me. Just remember to be patient and try to assess the situation before disiplineing him. I know how you feel though. My dd is behind in her speech as well, finally catching up though. She turned 2 last month.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• throwing fits sounds normal to me. keep up with the signing! that will help a lot. And when he starts to throw a fit walk away.
    just walk away (as long as he is safe and move him to a place he will be safe if he is not safe). You may even say something like "ow. that hurts my ears" as you walk away. Let him carry on for as long as it takes. Eventually he will learn that tantrums will NOT work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• This sounded more like a vent and not a question. You sound very frustrated and if you have him in speech therapy already then that is a good thing. My son was a late talker and he stutters. I was so very patient with him and he was put in speech as soon as he was in Kindergarten. He is going into 5th grade in September. Patience! Please, don't get too frustrated because he can sense it. We are all human and can get pissed off, frustrated etc. But my son is old enough now to remind me of my frustration back when he was 5! Imagine your 10 yr. old boy saying this to you....You know mom, I remember when I wanted to tell you that a bee stung me and I couldn't get the words out and I could tell you were getting mad and then you walked away to do something else, and so I just pulled out the stinger and cried behind grandmas house". We cried together that night because he was in pain and I was is pain due to my ignorance. GL
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I had to take Speech in school and I remember honestly not understanding what I was doing wrong when speaking it's hard....he can't help it - if it's still a problem when he starts school they will put him in speach...well..u said he already is so that's good, keep it up - it will work! GL
    I didn't know 2 y/o were suppose to have a vocabulary.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 4:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• no no no, he is screaming cuz u r letting him. I have an extremely disabled kid and she gets frustrated, however she knows whose boss and that she cannot get away w/ things. he's bright as u said and has pinpointed your weakness and is using it to his advantage is all.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 4:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have a now 11 year old son with autism, so he was speech delayed when he was younger and had some other issues as well. But what we taught him was "if . . . then." If you eat your green beans, then you can go play in your sandbox; If you kick the wall, you will have to go in time out; If you scream, you will have to go in your room; etc. It worked for both positive and negative outcomes - for things I wanted him to do followed by a reward, for things i wanted him to stop doing followed by a punishment. But it's a very simple statement and easy to understand.
    If he's more high functioning than that, we next went to a green/red choice board, which is a very visual way of reinforcing behavior. He has X number of square on his board and then at the end is his "reward" (it might be a handful of jellybeans, it might be playing outside or a short video). The squares are green on one side and red on the other - cont

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• they start out all green and everytime he makes a "red" choice (ie screaming, hitting, etc) then he has to turn one square to red. In order to get his reward he has to have at least one green left. Now he can go all day on like 20 squares, but starting out he had one board for short periods of time (like before lunch, then if he had one green left he could have a scoop of ice cream after lunch), then a new board until supper, then a new board until bedtime.

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• YAY!!! for missanc. I am a behavioral therapist, and I work with mainly autistic children. Several of them do not have language at all. The key is to be consistent. If you say no, that means NO.

Expect him to behave himself. Teach him to behave himself. It is very hard at first because they really DON'T understand a lot, but they can learn.

If you tell him no (or to do something), and he starts to scream, take him to a time-out chair and sit him in it. If he gets up, sit him back down. Keep him in that chair until he calms down and is showing appropriate behavior. It may take two hours, it mayy be one of the hardest things you've ever had to do, but that is the way it has to be. There has to be a consequence for bad behavior if you want it to stop, and since he doesn't really have language, the way to help him understand is by your reaction to it.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009