if ur toddler went to bed at nine...

had a busy day swimming.. the store.. u Know the Diaper has been changed..They are fed.. but at mid Night THey wake up screaming .. they are TWO.. not a infant .. how would u handle it.. ingnore... check on them...seriously midnight u know all needs are met.. however. they could not feel well ....be emotional.want comforting..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would go in and rock my baby. just because he/she is a toddler does not mean that he or she does not have bad dreams.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• my DD is 2 as well and she wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes twice. I would definatley go in and see what is wrong, And help them get back to sleep. Im sure it is a bad dream or something.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• boogie man!!!!is at tht age my son will toss and turn then wake and look around and say mom mom and ill get him n we sleep together!!lol he gets it from me though!so i know how it feels so id check say its ok let him pass out and slowly after hes knocked wait a second and lay him bak in to his crib!!!!thats what i do if i dont fall back asleep with him in the bed waiting for him to pass out!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 3:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My dd does that too! I find putting her to bed at 1030-1100 works best now.... and she sleeps until 6 am... otherwise she's up at midnight wide awake and NOT going to sleep!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I let her cry for about 5 - 10 minutes. Usually I can tell by the type of cry what's up. If she doesn't sound like she's calming, I'll go in. Most of the time, after 2 mintues she's right back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would wait to see if the crying stopped, increased or just continued. If it continues but isn't screeching I would wait a couple minutes to see if they calm down (doesn't usually happen in the kind of scenario described with our youngest). If is all our screaming and doesn't quiet I'd go right in to find out what was wrong.
    Can you tell this happens a lot for us. My 3yo wakes up for all sorts of inane reasons at night. Since she was 2 she has been having "bad dreams" (that's what she calls them) about who knows what. She also had a huge fear of deflated balloons when she was 2 but loved them blown up. She would wake in the night screaming at the balloons.
    But she is usually pretty easy to calm down and then she goes back to sleep.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The poor baby was overstimulated all day, and way overtired, that makes for difficulty sleeping well. I would go in and comfort him. Rub his head and sing to him or whatever it took to calm him. He had a hard day and for him that is work. I noticed you didn't mention any rest time during the day, so yeah, he was so exhausted he couldn't see straight.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• at that age they are not waking up eat etc. I think it would depend. I would go in assure them everything is ok "they will get is" smarter then some let them be! lol. Explain it's time to go back to sleep tuck them back in whatever you do. My almost three year old did this, it became kind of a habit his little body woke up everynight to cry and whine I finally ignored it for a few min after explaining it's bedtime and it stopped. BE CONSISTANT whatever you do! :) I however would not take a two year old and rock them back to sleep or read them a story...they know it's bedtime and at 9 pm that's plenty late enough they should sleep through the night.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would never ignore a screaming child, especially at night. Comfort them, respond to them, let them know that NO MATTER WHAT, you are there for them, even when it's inconvenient for you. You don't KNOW what caused them to wake up - it could have been a nightmare or just the sensation of waking up. At two, they're just starting to figure out the world, and in trying to figure out the world, they need a solid anchor - that's usually mom or dad. So someone needs to be there and help them relax, calm down, and go back to sleep.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'll let him cry for a couple minutes and see if he doesn't stop on his own. If he is screaming hysterically,I'll go to him right away because he might be having a nightmare. My 4 yr did this just the other night. My mom spent the night and slept with the boys in their room. She said he woke up crying, saying he had a bad dream and couldnt sleep, so she held him til he went back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009