Joining the Marines

So my SO was going to join the marines recently. It was going to be good for us, he doesnt have health insurance, and isnt making much money for all the long hours he puts in. So we went and spoke with a recruiter, she seemed pretty cool. but on the health questionaire he checked yes to something about having chest pains in the past. he went ot the hospital for it, got tested (ekg) and all and got clearance. Well months later when the paper work made it to MEPS the doc said that he wanted my SO to get a CURRENT letter to prove he was in okay condition to go. So we yet again went to doc, paid out of pocket for that. and MEPS reply..GO GET ANOTHER EKG!! WTF..seriously. when he gets to MEPS they give him a FULL physical, so why are they asking us to pay outta pocket to even allow him to go. he works a very physical job, got the letter, and he cant even make it to MEPS. we dont have ne more money to put towards this. so we gave up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. My son went through this kind of hell with the Marines. My brother, who is in another branch of the military says that the Marines are notorious for stuff like this. On my son's questionnaire they asked if he had ever been DIAGNOSED with any mental illness or depression - his answer was NO - because he never had any kind of diagnosis. (he had the usual teen blues, depression, yadda, yadda when he was about 15 - but that was it). He got pneumonia while in boot camp, they sent him to MEPS where they gave him the whole evaluation over again. And this time they asked him if he had ever EXPERIENCED and depression - which he answered honestly - Yes. He was discharged, and it was a Dishonorable Discharge based on "deception". Stating that he lied on his original questionnaire when he said he had never been diagnosed with depression - he hadn't. The Marines diagnosed him with depression.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• CONTD has anyone else gone through all this hassel to join the military!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• so why are they asking us to pay outta pocket to even allow him to go.

Why would the military pay? He isn't troop yet. MIlitary is selective and you have to be in the best possible shape. They need to ensure he isn't a health risk and that he is physically able to handle the military. Has he called his recruiter and talked to her?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Exactly, if you can't pay try to join another branch of military. The Marines are a very strict branch and very physical in their training. Their boot camp is one of the toughest to get through. You have to be in tip top shape for them to accept you. If you are even 1lb overweight you have to loose the weight before they will accept you.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• When my husband was at boot camp there was a kid from his platoon that had a heart attack in the middle of PT and when they checked his civilian medical records he had been checked out for 'chest pains' in the past but he didn't say anything about it on his paperwork THAT is why they want to make sure he's ok to go because if he ain't and they pass him through anyway it's their butt in a sling.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You know what, my husband is an Army Recruiter and I'll ask him when I get a chance today if that sounds "normal" for the Army... You might just want to try another branch.

I do know that the Marines is the strictest to get into physically, my husband couldn't get into the Marines because of something phsyical (something about his shoulder, I don't really remember), but had no problem joining the Army.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The full physical at MEPS does not include an EKG, so that is why you need to get one before going. Chest pain is a pretty big issue, now if he had gone to the hospital and found out it was a pulled muscle causing it and had documentation of that you probably wouldn't be facing this. But just chest pain could be ALOT of issues. Now if he went to boot camp and something happened, wouldn't you be upset that they didn't do EVERYTHING they could to make sure he was fit BEFORE going? I understand the frustration, I really do, but I also understand the other side of this too.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm in the army and I heard a story from a solider in my unit. He said he knows a guy who got denied from the army because his BALLS were TOO big. He seriously had to go to a doctor and have him confirm there was nothing wrong with his testicles. Yeah.

Next time, have your husband deny everything. Seriously, it sounds shady but the military is NOT hard up right now, and if anything is 'wrong' with him, they will not let him in. I have gone to the ER multiple times in childhood and had asthma (turns out it was just allergies, damn cat) but does the army know that? Um, hell no.

Also, since you have a family, I'd HIGHLY suggest going into the Air Force. The Marines are fucking horrible to their own people, and have little concern for spouses and family members. You will still get the same insurance through the Air Force and get treated way better/live in a better place than the Marines will treat you. JMO.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 10:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If he doesn't want to do what they want then maybe he really didn't want to go for the right reason anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Please do not deny anything. Do not lie on the paperwork. I have known people who did, got all the way through to Basic and AIT, on to their permanent duty station then they start having problems and then they get a dishonorable discharge, It does not matter if you have been in two and half years and they find out about the lie you will get discharged. all the time and energy wasted. That would suck the worst.
    I went through a short depression in high school, it was diagnosed, I never took meds for it. Just counseling, I put it down for one of their questions I still got in. I could have went Marines but decided to go Army.
    I would say try and get the ekg done again. Or try another branch of the armed forces but I do believe the people at meps do all branches of the military. At least our area meps station does.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2009